View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
aceventura3
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy View Post
well, ace, in the main on this one we're talking about the same strategic situation, but you assume there is a unified set of principles that unite economic conservative, neo-cons (foreign policy oriented types), social conservatives, evangelical protestants, etc. and i don't.
There is and there isn't. At the risk of being overly simplistic and stating the obvious - at a base level every normal law abiding loyal American has some common principles, those principles that make us Americans. There are base level principles that make people Republicans or Democrats. Within the the "universal set" that defines a group, there are subsets that separates those within a group. the question is can those subsets focus on what is most important. And actually, isn't that the question Obama is asking of all Americans at this time, to set aside differences and focus on commonality?

Quote:
i see a language that enabled the various factions to talk about the same general ideas, and that this language is now a Real Problem for the right. i think it's more generative as a way to think about this analytically---but i'm also looking at this as a chess game that other people are playing. and i admit up front to being interested in watching the game itself collapse--but also in how that collapse is avoided.
I actually thought Ross Perrot and his Presidential runs was a greater threat to the Republican party than the McCain defeat. In 1992 Perrot won about 20% of the vote and in my view was the reason Clinton got elected and in 1996 Perrot got 8% hurting Dole's bid. The party recovered from the Perrot third party threat in part with the contract with America, in 1994. The McCain defeat is nothing in comparison to the 90's.
-----Added 14/11/2008 at 10 : 26 : 47-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_dux View Post
ace...I would suggest that it is not condescending to look forward and focus on new ideas and fresh faces rather than an old Cold War icon that may of that age (18-35) have little or no connection to.

Its not hiding your message...its making it relevant to a new generation of voters.
Marketing. I get it. Package your message real pretty so it sells. I clearly don't have the mentality to run a political party.

Quote:
A friend of mine from our MPM days at GW Univ....a conservative republican who is a party activist ...is pulling her hair out these days in trying to get the party to look beyond Reagan and be more forward thinking in their outreach.
I don't think we should ever look beyond those leaders from our past who made this country great. there are a few Presidents that are worthy to be singled-out as role models for this country and future leaders. FDR and Kennedy are two Democrats that I think are worthy and don't think we should look beyond.
-----Added 14/11/2008 at 10 : 32 : 58-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
this video (and ace's defense of it) are among the primary reasons I'll never be a Republican. This constant idea that the past was better than the present and "going back to the old ways" rings so hollow to me. I think there is ALWAYS a better way to do something, and I'll always side with the candidate who is interested in making changes rather than reverting to the status quo
Are you suggesting that there are no lessons to be learned from history? I don't think the past was better, but I do think there are reasons that we continually get better. If we occasionally forget those reasons, we need to be reminded.

What do you do to look for inspiration? When you lack confidence or are uncertain about the future, feeling weak what do you do? Even if you don't admit it, subconsciously you know you look to the past for inspiration.
"A lady screams at the mouse but smiles at the wolf. A gentleman is a wolf who sends flowers."

Last edited by aceventura3; 11-14-2008 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73