View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faba View Post
*Applause*

Seriously, there needs to be minimum standards of health, quality, etc... instituted for global trade in this world. Not to say that all countries would have to join - it should be more of a 'We won't import or export these goods that fail to meet these standards with or from other countries in this group' thing.
We used to do that with "most favored nation status" and trade embargoes and so on.

What has happened is BOTH parties and from what I see BOTH candidates prove that they would rather keep the "free trade" as it is because the ultra rich continue to accumulate wealth while the chasm between rich and poor grows.

One party does it because ultimately they are controlled by big business and while some may want to change that the leaders of that party are too deep into the pockets of big business and are afraid to lose their power. They would rather sacrifice good politicians in their party that want change than to lose their power. Think Contract with America..... great concept, great sales pitch didn't do shit for true change except give them more power.

The other party thrives in economic downturns and when the rich get richer. hus they can promise HUGE ass tax paid programs that in the long run turn into albatrosses and do more damage than they do good. But they get power and with power comes money and control. Think Affirmative action, welfare and so on.... they put those programs in knowing the end results are people will turn to them for help and that they can threaten if they lose power those programs the people are addicted to and need will be in danger.

So in the end we have opened pandora's box so to speak and we can't close it. There would be no power or wealth for them to gain by closing it.

Quote:
That way, countries that say 'Fuck the proles' can import their lead baby spoons and those who want to have a higher quality of life are guaranteed one. Of course, there would have to be harsh penalties for trying to sneak things through and whatnot.
We do that also, try to control what comes in, but when so much comes in and so few samples are checked it makes it very easy to slip anything they want in and no one to know until people get sick.

It makes me truly wonder what gets through that we do not know about.
-----Added 6/10/2008 at 01 : 44 : 40-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbear View Post
Why see the problem as a 'Chinese problem'? It is rather a bad goods supplier. The manufacturer should be severely penalized with Chinese govt assistence.

Cheap and Best - does such a thing exist?
That would work if we paid attention. But we don't. We read or hear about our pets, kids, people getting sick... but unless it truly is someone close and affects us we ignore it and the press buries it.

If more people stood up and truly made a stink over it all, maybe something would be done. But as long as there is no outcry and the press can bury it and make it look not as bad as it is.....no one will truly stand up against it and be taken seriously.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 10-05-2008 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73