View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Vigilante
Broken Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by highthief View Post
They might have taken boats.

Seriously, the theory of a coastal route is gaining favour over the land bridge/corridor thing.
I know, and there is the possibility of some early europeans coming over along the atlantic ice route too and interbreeding. Some animals had to cross however, and they didn't have boats, so I suspect both could have played a factor. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver View Post
No, in the scientific sense they are Mongoloid. Native American is the term we adopted when someone finally put the mis-label Indian to sleep. It's not perfect, but it neither is alot of terms. I'm German, I say that not because I'm 100% but because Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Austrian, and a bit of Norse run through my blood. The fact is they are all "Germanic" as they share very close culture, language, and tradition. It's not perfect, but accuracy is not required as the only thing that influences me today is I have a real reason to celebrate Oktoberfest.

Like said above, Park in a Driveway and Drive in a Parkway. It's the definition of the word which is the reason for the word. It's to convey our intent, our society knows Native American as the tribes who were here when Columbus landed. To use Native American in your sense is "technically" right, but wrong linguistically as that is the common use for the word.

Honestly, it's sad but when using the true definition and intent of language even "Irregardless" is a word. Hell, Firefox didn't even pick it up as a misspell.
Ha, my firefox ignored it as well, funny.

But on mongoloid, more nitpicking IMO. If I go out and say my great great great grandmother was mongoloid in reference to a conversation about native heritage, 99.999 percent of people would look at me like a freak. When in Rome, say Native American. When in the presence of tightass nitpickers, say mongoloid migrants. Even anthropologists don't distinguish, and if they don't, neither will I. Plus they aren't truly mongoloid anymore, because 10-20K years of relative genetic isolation has allowed for some subtle changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeedo View Post
"Native americans by my definition, crossed the land bridge, didn't keep genes for alcohol tolerance (not in a joking sense, seriously) and developed a unique culture and appearance here in north america."

Your definition may be what ever you'd like it to be, but there is also a legal definition, whether you like it or not. And you might consider doing just a bit more research on the alcohol issue before you choose to, as you said, "stir up some shit."
Actually, I had a Nez Perce roommate, and he couldn't hold shit down. Period. That's subjective however. There are genetic studies that show the other cultures that produced alcohol kept up genetically, and native americans didn't.

A simple google search yielded this:
One of the most deeply ingrained stereotypes about American Indian life is that all Native American are alcoholics

Maybe you should do some research yourself. If you found my statement offensive, maybe you should understand that it was my definition, which naturally implies some undefined subjective standard. The data, however, is objective in nature. And maybe you should lay off the liquor for a bit too, since you think I said "stir up some shit", which I obviously didn't.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73