View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
dc_dux

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467 View Post
See right now I started this thread with a legitimate beef and opinion on a slogan that has been used by many supporters of a candidate.
pan...here is why I think you are being disingenuous or dishonest.

The comment you found so offensive was made by one person (a member of Congress). It was not an Obama campaign slogan...it was not part of an ad...it was one guy making a comment in response to a smug commitment by both McCain and Palin about Obama's public service. Was it distasteful? perhaps to some....Was it a "campaign" tactic by Obama....not by any reasonable standard.

Yet you make a dubious unsupportable claim..."that the Obama campaign and supporters seem to like throwing that around." Who is throwing it around...other than Limbaugh, Fox, the right wing blogs...oh...and you!

It would be like saying the McCain campaign "likes throwing around" these ignorant comment by Republican Congressman Steve King or Republican Congressman Lynn Westmoreland:
Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said that Obama's middle name – Hussein – is relevant to the public discourse surrounding his candidacy, saying in March that if Obama were elected, "Then the radical Islamists, the al Qaeda, the radical Islamists and their supporters, will be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on Sept. 11 because they will declare victory in this War on Terror.

Westmoreland was discussing vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's speech with reporters outside the House chamber and was asked to compare her with Michelle Obama. "Just from what little I’ve seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity," Westmoreland said.
Would you hold the McCain campaign accountable in the same manner you are holding the comment by Cong. Cohen against Obama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan6467 View Post
This is to call bs or applaud an ad you dislike or like. Simple as that. Sorry if you think or believe that I have some other deep hidden agendas here.... I don't.
The comment you found so offensive was not an ad or a campaign slogan....comparing an offhand remark by someone not associated with the campaign to an official ad (the LBJ ad) is also disingenuous or dishonest.

If you want to have a discussion about ads and campaign slogans as you suggest.....then stick to ads and campaign slogans! Make sense?

Last edited by dc_dux; 09-14-2008 at 10:34 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73