View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
jorgelito
All important elusive independent swing voter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlish View Post
i disagree with you lube boy. people have preferences. people may be attracted to their own kind in looks as well as other areas. it may even be a case of convenience that they marry from their own country or race. i see nothing wrong with that.

one thing i try and do is learn as much about other people as possible. ive learnt a lot about the indian culture and hindi language in the past year being here in the middle east than i ever imagined, and im glad i did.

learning about others breaks down barriers and prejudices. hopefully this will rub off on my kids and so on and so forth, and hopefully my kids wont have to go through what i think the OP is going through.
Idunno, the race/ethnicity issue is a bit more nuanced I think. It is definitely a slippery slope. There is a very fine line between preference and prejudice creeping towards outright racism, even if it's auto-racism.
-----Added 8/9/2008 at 06 : 45 : 59-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermike View Post
I don't think it's too odd. I mean, I'm pretty much stuck with having white friends because the population of my town is something like 92% white. Politically correct nazis like to say we're all the same but it's just not true. You can take a random white guy from the suburbs, a random black guy from the inner city, and a random Asian guy from Tokyo and you can pretty much guarantee the differences are more than skin deep. Different races raise their children differently, They have different rules, different punishments, different activities and cultures. People celebrate different holidays. All of these things help people identify with their people of their own race and religion.

Maybe you should look at why your friends are the same race. Are you a white rapper from harlem? That'd give you quite a few black friends. Are you a black republican hanging out at the RNC? I'm sure you'll have a bunch of white friends. All you need is one friend of another race, you'll hang out with their friends that are likely to be the same race as them, sooner or later you've built a group of friends entirely comprised of a ethnicity other than your own.
Not true. You can't sand bag individuals into "they are 'blank' because they are 'blank' race." People can be culturally different sure, but that is flexible. Race, from a phenotypical standpoint is not. I would bet that the three people in your example most likely have more in common than not.

"Demand more from yourself, more than anyone else could ever ask!"

- My recruiter

Last edited by jorgelito; 09-08-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73