View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tully Mars
Living in a Warmer Insanity

Super Moderator
In a three and half year period I spent 12 and then 9 months flat on my back. During much of this time my doc also me on a steroid, pretty sure it was prednisone (sp?) Between months on being immobile and the steroids, not to mention my ex's cooking skills begin and end at KFC and Mickey D's. That's not totally true, there was some Taco Bell in there before they went out of business locally- wish I were making that up, she recently asked me on the phone how to bake a potato. If the box or can do not have instructions, she's completely lost in a kitchen. Anyway needless to say I gained a lot of weight. How much? Beats me- never got on a scale, kind of wish I had now. I do know when I got back on my feet I didn't fit in any of my clothes. I talked to the doc, rather he talked to me, his answer was more medication. Screw that! By then I'd been medicated half to death. Literally, my second term of being horizontal was completely related to a rare reaction to a medication. I didn't take too much or too little, just a rare reaction. Ever read all that crap that comes with your Rx? Most of the time it'll say something like "may, in rare cases, cause liver or kidney failure." Well Meet Mr. Rare case. One moment I was on my cell phone with a friend the next thing I knew I was waking up in a hospital room. I decided to forgo the additional medication.

At first I started walking. In the beginning I measured my walks in yards. Eventually those yards became miles. Currently I walk around five miles a day and at least four days a week I'm in the gym (weights) about 45mins. to an hour. The two things I've found about keeping a regular workout schedule are- it's easy, almost addictive, once you get started and stretching is important. I can not over stress stretching out prior to working out.

When it comes to food I'm to the point the smell of fast food makes me gag. Home Depot here is next door to Mickey D's. I kid you not, I park on the opposite side of the parking lot so I don't have to smell that shit. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I'll usually have an apple before heading to the gym and walking. After walking I usually have a can of V8, another apple and either yogurt w/granola or a hard boiled egg. Lunch is usually a chicken breast or a piece of fish and a salad. Anytime I feel hungry during the day i eat a piece of fruit. Dinner at home is usually basically what evers left over from lunch. But lately dinner has been "out" a lot. Seems people are coming and going a lot lately. "leaving town? Let's have dinner." "Coming into town? Let's grab a meal." But even at a restaurant wise choices can be made. Salads etc...

I still don't fit in my old clothes, but now that's because they're too big.

Vice President Starkizzer Fan Club

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73