View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
MSD
The sky calls to us ...

Super Moderator
When I had a working car, I would drive to work in exactly the same way every day. Leave the house at a certain time within one minute, turn, turn again, two stop signs, left turn, roll the stop sign and make a right turn, drive for a bit, wait for 40 seconds at the light, make a few more turns, get in the left lane and pass the morons in the right lane, but not fast enough to set off the over-speed sensor that turns the light red, pull up to a major intersection and wait at the light, floor it to get past trafic in the right lane, signal at the crosswalk and switch to the right lane 3 dashed lines after the 35mph sign, wait at one more light, then turn into the garage. Drop down into first gear so a safe speed would put me at 1900RPM, which was the resonant frequency of both my mufflers and the garage, resulting in a ground-shaking roar that would set off a few car alarms, get to the third floor, throw it into reverse, and back into the space that nobody else felt like maneuvering into right next to the door.

It was almost as precise as Fred's drive home at the beginning of every episode of The Flintstones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesnowyowl View Post
To get out, I have to plant my feet, grasp the doorknob with both hands, and yank. And yank some more. Maybe, by the third yank, it will have budged a little. Needless to say, I can easily expend my daily caloric intake just opening my bedroom door a few times a day.
Mine is kind of like that. It's a solid door and I didn't have anyone to help me put it up when I got new hinges so it sticks. I have to either put a foot on the wall and jump back with both hands on the knob or throw my weight into it then pull so it doesn't stick. I've busted my shoulder doing this more than once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermike View Post
If I'm riding in a car I'll tap my fingers at the same pace of the lines in the road. I'll usually use my index and middle finger for lines on their corresponding sides If there's only 1 line, I'll use my middle finger to tap to the beat of the reflector in the road... I know it's not really a challenge.. but It sure as hell makes riding in the car for long trips easier.
I do this, but with tapping my feet inside my shoes. It's a habit I've had since I was little. On back roads, it's with driveways and side roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaya View Post
When walking on a sidewalk, sometimes I try to make the same number of steps within each "square" of concrete (between the cracks), usually on a really long walk when I'm bored.
I do this, but to a greater extent. I can feel the seams in the sidewalk through my shoes, and if I step on one wit one foot, I have to step so the other foot lands on a seam in the same place. If I don't, my feet feel uncomfortable. I have mild OCD and asymmetry bothers me, and this is one of those things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_tippler View Post
When walking from the subway to work, I often look at people passing in the eyes, and count how many people actually looked back and didn't look down straight after. It's empowering but there are also days when you feel invisible.
Not being the first to break eye contact is a huge factor in projecting confidence, and this will both make you more attractive to people (not that you need any help there) and reduce your chance of being mugged by about 90%

Last edited by MSD; 08-15-2008 at 08:30 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73