View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #95 (permalink)
Milkyway
Tilted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedmedia
I think repeatedly asking for something from your parents when they have said no and explained why is extremely rude. It's a huge pet peeve of mine and I won't tolerate it. My youngest daughter, though, seems to have a real weakness for it. And it seems to have escalated in frequency all of a sudden. Not sure where she got it from, television or school, but it's gonna stop. I can't stand that shit./end possible threadjack
I HATE to repeat myself to kids. I have babysat tons over the years and got respect from them, they learned I DO NOT repeat myself, and they learned not to mess with me if I give them THE LOOK, but they also learned that we can have a lot of fun. I am pretty good with kids. I love that they are in the discovery stage and I love that I can help them discover things. I love playing games and having fun and I loved being a kid-(but stopped being a kid around 10 when I discovered guys and became insanely obsessed with sex).

I now have a one year old and a two year old and unfortunately you HAVE to repeat yourself to this age and they don't understand THE LOOK yet. Although just in the past week my daughter who is approaching 3 but acts much older has started to get the idea, because I have stopped looking at her as a toddler and started looking at her as a preschooler, which means she gets a lot less slack form me.

It is hard to be a parent today, tons of people say don't ever hit a child, tons of people say it is the only way to gain respect.

Bottom line is there MUST be consequences for bad behavior and the child must HATE the consequences. If they giggle when you put them in time out, time out doesn't work. If they scream and cry or just pout in time out-its working. Different things work with different kids, and different things work at different times, and parents that don't take the time to learn what works are doing a great disservice to their children. Lets face it I can't just walk onto a car lot and hot wire a car and drive off with it. The world has rules and the world has consequences that we don't like. It is my job as a parent to teach my children that.

So to the point what I hate about children:

In general:
I HATE repeating myself. If I said do it, do it. If I said don't do it, don't do it. PERIOD, no discussion. By four my kids had better have this mastered or they are going to be very unhappy children.

With my kids:
I hate that I can't get away from my children, even to take a crap in peace!

With other people's kids:
I hate that I can't step in and discipline other people's kids, unless they are in my house-my house, my rules, my discipline, don't like it, don't bring your kids over!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73