View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jinn
Lover - Protector - Teacher

Quote:
The no-trolling or flaming at TFP is the reason I stay. No other forum on the Internet (that I know of) has had a no-flaming policy for as long as TFP.
This is absolutely what TFP does right for me. I was a member of dozens of forums in my adolescence, and I thrived on the "fucktard", "fuck you", "stupid fuck", "gutterslut" kinda flame wards that ensued. I'm still a member of one, and it's amazing to read some of the things posted there.

The topics here have substance, and threads that are obviously not able to be discussed get closed quickly with good reason. I think seeing a flood of posts every day is always bad for forums, because it the posts usually have so little to be discussed that they all become random musings. They also don't inspire to come back and chip in two or three or four times each.

For example, on one of the stupidly unmoderated boards I visit, these are the top threads:

"This thread will contain my 9,999th post"
"if i was a school subject, which would it be and how would you study me?"
"I bought Age of Conan"
"Here is the Scott McLellan interview"
"if i was a mmorpg, which would i be and would you play me for a week straight?"
"if i was an ice cream cone, how would you eat me?"
"I have something very homo erotic to say"
"If anyone think game 5 meant anything then sign your idioticname here to be embaressed after game 6"
"So I lie in posts sometimes to entertain myself at work, what's the big deal? "
"Where can you buy those glasses with eyes on them? "
"kinda mad that timbaland didnt accept my myspace friend request "
"he hit me a few times , i hit him a few times "
"[face_chicken][face_cow][face_monkey] [face_pig] "
" The "Minor Leagues" has merged with Pest Empire"
"Why do I have green poop?"
"chau team back in black"
"OMFG:K><MALKSKLJMdwm CSmln"
"FREE D"
"iso pics of the harelip"
"EC comming up !!!! who will win ???? "
"SO I WALKED INTO A BAR LAST NIGHT AND ORDERED A "APPLE-TINI"

ENTIRE Posts consist of:

"damn. a 5 year old getting head from a hot 18 year old babysitter ( gotta be 18 ). thats awesome."

"Apparently I chugged a 40 of OE last saturday, but I was already blacked out so there was no reason to do it."

"blacked out and ended up buying ice to drink more and then had sex. never even knew about it till later the next day."

"Funny how almost everyone decides to post about getting messed up like that's the best thing because they're under the impression it makes them cool and original."

""The majority of the PMs i get from you guys are asking how do I lose weight as quick as possible but also adding muscle well here's how - "

thats because everyone on here is fat"

"my tobacco water pipe is empty. and im sad"

"No matter how much I do, it I'm never coked out enough. This shit is like a 900 dollar a day habit. I don't want to go to rehab, what do I do?"

" ive heard that stabbing a screwdriver into your left thigh helps with coke addictions.

"that or a shock collar so whenever you do a bump, you get a shock (in some cases people have enjoyed the shock along with the coke high and it had an adverse effect, only a few tho)"

"ur old news jail bird, gb2ao. He actually has a point, nobody cared/cares now about you, your little e-cool 15 minutes of fame for being a cock jockey is over now."

"If I ever become Johnny Depp the first thing I'm gonna do is hook up with Megan Fox, fk shes hot"

"i would cut ur head off and place it on the headless statue for my art class."

Compare that to to the "New Posts" listing of TFP on ANY day at ANY hour and it is DRASTICALLY different.

TFP does this well:
  • Discourages topics which can't be discussed at length
  • Encourages well-thought out topics with substance (and rewards it with additional forums)
  • Quickly moderates and removes any thread that is going downhill (threadjack, flamewar, inappropriate).
  • Keeps a SLOW and steady flow of topics whose Subject line actually relates to the topic contained within
  • Working to keep a mean age of 18 and higher - most of the threads and things said above come out of the mouths of those who aren't yet legal adults
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54