Thread: Global Cooling
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #138 (permalink)
Ustwo
Pissing in the cornflakes

Next, the scientists conducted statistical tests and found that the spatial patterns of observed impacts closely match temperature trends across the globe, to a degree beyond what can be attributed to natural variability. So, the team concluded that observed global-scale impacts are very likely due to human-caused warming.

This is the only interesting part of that article as it pertains to human created global warming. Without seeing how they did their meta analysis and what data sets were used I can't make any comment pro or con as the statement itself is presented sans evidence.

The idea is that we are warming (quite possible) and that its more than natural. So where does one draw the line between 'natural' and unnatural. Global temperatures are not at the highest point even in civilizations history, so the question is what makes this stand out to the scientists involved. How do they know what 'natural' is? Cynthia Rosenzweig is one of the biggest global warming is going to kill us all types out there, and while I do not discount her work based on her opinion of the matter, I do need more than a small blurb.

Ok did a bit of looking, apparently its a Nature article, which I've been meaning to resubscribe to but haven't. Anything I can find about it is her focusing on the warming but not the human cause.

Interestingly if everything claimed in the study is in fact true, then somewhat ironically there is nothing to be done about it and the warming trend itself will not be reversible (without some sort of invasion of the 3rd world and China) and reducing the global standard of living tremendously.

Ok may have found this in the abstract...

Given the conclusions from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report that most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-twentieth century is very likely to be due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations, ...

They are saying its warmer because the IPCC said it was likely warmer due to human caused warming, they did not do any science on this themselves.

I'd like to think there was more too it than that but so far can't see it.

So basically the paper says things are warmer, which I am not arguing, and that its our fault because they say it is.

Thats special.

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.

Last edited by Ustwo; 05-15-2008 at 12:04 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73