View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
mixedmedia
has all her shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasereth
Oh come on, let's take off our sensitivity veils. You want a reference, here it is: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm

The FBI, just like I said. Click on any year and wade through some of those PDFs.

I work at a police station so I see the crime stats every single day of the year. You can wear your sensitivity veil and pretend that blacks don't commit crimes more often than whites and that pointing it out is "intellectual wankery" but I took mine off long ago and realized that knowing blacks are more likely to commit a crime isn't racist, it's observatory.

I'm not gonna let an article (that I did read through entirely) say that there's subconscious prejudice "deep down inside that we act on" when for me it's simply knowing the facts. I respect black people the same as I respect white people but you're full of shit if you think that black crime rates are racist.
But that's not where you got the item that you posted. That's what I was curious about.

And I am not wearing a 'sensitivity veil' thank you very much. I am viewing the information in a way that is realistic and relevant to me. Fact is, if I were a black woman living in a black neighborhood then I would be far more at risk of being the victim of a crime perpetrated by a black man than I am as a white woman living in a mixed race or white neighborhood. This conveniently saves me the trouble of becoming afraid of black people more than any other....because when you remove the instances of drug-related crime and black-on-black crime you will see that the risk of my being the victim of a crime perpetrated by a black man rather than any other is not much greater.

This, of course, is not to say that high crime rates in black communities isn't real or isn't a dire problem. It is to say that using the information to make white people afraid of black people is ignorant and counterproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
I had no intention of giving people a free pass. Understanding the cause of something is the first step in counteracting it. I came to the conclusion this paper reaches a long time ago.
Well, that's cool.

Last edited by mixedmedia; 05-04-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62