View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
highthief
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon
Anyway, my question was - are these types of surveillance / spy things easily available? Are they the sorts of things that the average Joe could purchase without too much expense? And most importantly, is there any way to check for their presence in a room? I know I'm being very paranoid here but this would genuinely help me sleep better at night...
OK, I used to do security checks against covert surveillance, both electrinic and physical for a living, so I can give you some information and tips.

1 - Yes, any fool these days can purchase very good, easy to conceal and install listening devices and cameras that will escape casual inspection.

2 - 99% of the time when people asked me and my company to determine if they were being spied on in such a manner the result was negative.

3 - Having said that, spying by a friend, co-worker, employee or associate using more informal means (reading your mail/e-mail, listening at door, etc) is a relatively common occurrence even if it does not occur with regularity.

4 - Your personal computer is the most likely means of anyone keeping tabs on you today - it is much more common than cameras or microphones. Password protect everything, ensure you have firewalls and virus protection up to date and operative. Log off when not using your machine. Beware using wireless systems if you think you are being spied upon.

5 - You can do a basic physical sweep of a small room yourself - imagine chopping your room into 3 levels from floor to chest height, then chest height to a bit above your head, then from that point to the ceiling. Physically examine each sector one at a time using your eyes first, then your hands. Check all electrical outlets, light fixtures and cable outlets to ensure they work and open them for a quick look see. Take a picture of anything you find unusual and cannot identify and post same here or PM me.

You're probably fine but you probably will sleep better knowing for sure.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54