View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
filtherton
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondak
Quite literally two people speaking different languages - much like the example I quoted above. It is frustrating for both parties, but the mystic has no recourse when "faith" is the basis of their conversation.
No recourse for what?

Quote:
One cannot choose reason when it is convenient to do so and ignore it when mystic claims fit. Even if some theists try to make reason compatible with faith - it does not make it so. The fact that some may "believe" they are compatible has no bearing on whether they actually are.
Okay, well it would be interesting to me if you could provide a reason for your assertions about the nature of reason, because it seems to me that your definition of reason isn't all that reasonable. As far as the dictionary and I can tell, reason isn't the same thing as science. I'm sorry, but it isn't. Reasonable people can disagree, and proper reasoning need not result in accuracy with respect to reality or scientific verifiability.

What reason should not be, is a convenient excuse for self righteously sequestering yourself away from anyone who disagrees with you.

Also,

I can reasonably come to faulty conclusions, and I can, using proper reasoning, come to correct conclusions based on faulty premises.

Quote:
Trying to invalidate all of what is found in The Fountainhead because Roark and Dominique had a complex relationship that requires a grasp of reason to understand does not make any of the ideas presented there any less true and is itself and escape from reason. And no idea from the book represents a free market that has anything to do with forcing anyone to do anything. In fact it is the exact opposite. Reading it may help, but I suspect not.
I wasn't trying to invalidate the fountainhead based on Ayn Rand's rape fantasies. The fact that it is boring and simplistic should be enough to invalidate it. I was just pointing out that Rand is full of shit when it comes to dismissing anyone for their brutality.

Quote:
I do. It is my only way.
If you honestly believe this then the only thing you've convinced me of is that you aren't very in touch with yourself.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73