View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ustwo
Pissing in the cornflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedmedia
Perhaps, but this stuff has been going on plain view for a long, long, long time. People have written books about it, made documentaries about it - we've even had tv movies made about it, for pete's sake.

I'm telling you guys, read the book and you'll be asking yourself why it took so long.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-H.../dp/0385509510

One reason why, that I learned from this book was because of a raid that happened in the 1950's that gained a lot of negative attention. Therefore, there has been a hands-off attitude on the behalf of law enforcement.

But I think the nature of the marriages has become much more perverse as they have been more and more isolated and more and more interbred over the succeeding decades.

The right thing has been done here. Finally.

Oh, and everyone's probably aware, but Jon Krakauer is a respected journalist (Into the Wild, Into Thin Air) and not some scandal-mongerer.
Actually if you go back to my original post, I'm of the opinion that these groups are almost always involved in statutory rape.

Its not so much was the right thing done, its was it done for the right reason.

I also think most hippies are pot smokers, so does that mean its ok if someone anonymously says there is a stash of pot at one of the few remaining communes and they do a drug raid based on this anonymous phone call, where they search the entire compound and question everyone about it?

With all the whining these days about the patriot act, I'm surprised so few of the same people who decry that as somehow stepping on the constitution think something like this is ok.

Do I think these people are guilty? Hell ya, bunch of wack jobs in my book, but due process is a price you pay to be free, and if that means you have to actually have a case against the wack jobs thats more than an anonymous phonecall, before you cart everyone off and separate fathers from their children so be it.

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62