Thread: Race and Crime
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ustwo
Pissing in the cornflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektore
This is not even maybe where I meant to go with this. Mostly my goal was exploring other factors that influence why part of this country exists in the way it does. I don't believe racism is entirely to blame and I don't believe "it's all whitey's fault" either. I can see how this was not clear at all from the op, but it was my first attempt to get these thoughts something that resembles organized. You post goes to show there is more going on here than maybe anyone realizes.
Understood, I focused too much on the slavery aspect of it.

My personal opinion is that when normalized for every possible variable (something that would be impossible to do so this is just a guess) that blacks would still have a higher crime rate per capita than whites.

My feeling there is that its cultural, and that we have through our well meaning but fundamentally flawed social programs created a permanent underclass which can't be fixed unless we have the courage to end these programs.

What confuses and alarms me most about that study is something I would think would be just the opposite.

* the percentage of female-headed households falls

I'm not clear exactly what they mean by 'female-headed', but my first reading would be households where the father is not present, not that a female wears the pants in the family so to speak. I could be wrong, but if not the implication is that having a male influence is worse than it just being the mother. I really don't know how to read it, and I hope I'm reading it wrong.

Perhaps a easier question to work on would be the concept of poverty and 'lower class'.

Being an employer I have a number of employees which would be classified as lower class by those into making such lists. Its something I've never fully understood as to what factor creates this mindset, as it seems to be self imposed, and not even directly related to income. None seem to be inherently stupid, but all are poorly educated and fail to see a point in education. Its not so much that they don't see a value in it for others, but they don't see a value in it for themselves. What does seem to be a theme is just monumentally poor judgment in the character of people in their lives and major decisions. There seems to be little concept of delayed gratification, and as they tell me stories of their family as small talk it seems their relations are the same. Perhaps its just cultural, perhaps there is something fundamental in how they think genetically, but its confusing.

I'd add the ones working for me are NOT lazy nor are they criminals to my knowledge. Its like they can't see they can do more with their lives, or just don't care to.

To me it seems apparent there just many factors into what makes someone lower class, vrs what makes them criminally inclined, and its maybe possible that some people can't change their 'class' no matter how much you try to help them, its just how they see and enjoy the world.

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54