View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauk
everything has to have an origin, so the next time something leaves your mouth that sounds like "well it came from..." stop a second and think about where THAT came from, keep going backwards till you can go backwards no more, eventually, you do not have an answer. You can theorize something originated from a black hole, but you have to explain where the black hole came from, you have to explain where gravity comes from, you have to explain where space itself came from, where matter to fill that space came from.
You seem to be under the impression that those who subscribe to the Big Bang theory haven't asked these questions. What I and Knifemissile have been attempting to explain is that these questions have been asked and it was determined that the questions are meaningless.

Quote:
I think big bang and evolution tie in just fine, for one has to lead to the other.
For life to have been created, the building blocks which created a habitat for sustainable life had to have been created.
Saying "one has to lead to the other" is a fallacy, as we have no proof of that. However, one did lead to the other, so I can see your point.

Quote:
so i guess this is the intent of my question, IF the big bang theory is presented as an "answer" to how the theory of evolution came in to existence , then what theory is there to explain how the big bang theory came in to existence?
I'm going to try to explain this one last time I will attempt to make it as clear as possible.

1) Time is a facet of our Universe, just as length, width and height are.

2) Anything that exists outside our Universe does not need to have any of these properties.

3) Before and after and cause and effect are methods of describing the time component of the Universe.

4) If the Universe is contained within an infinitely dense point, there is no time anywhere (since time is also contained within that same infinitely dense point).

5) If there is no time and the concept of before exists to describe time, asking what came before outside of time is a meaningless question. It's a bit like asking which way is east when one is in deep space; the object of discussion is outside the boundaries of the measurement used.

6) Therefore, asking what came before the big bang is also a meaningless question. There's no possible answer because it's impossible to satisfy the concept of before. And since any observations we make are necessarily contained with our Universe, it's a question that would be impossible to answer regardless. If you go beyond the Universe you also go beyond human experience. The answer you're looking for simply does not exist.

Quote:
there is a parent/child relationship for everything.
Did you know that elementary particles and anti-particles are constantly popping into and out of existence all around us? Did you know that black holes (which have a gravitational pull so strong that not even light can escape it) are capable of emitting radiation?

I'll say it again; the Universe is far more bizarre than you give it credit for. The rules only apply so long as our observations are consistent with them.

Quote:
lets put it another way, lets say we slopped our way out of a lake, evolved from amoeba/fish/cavemen/monkey whatever to the point where we became self aware and inquisitive and needed to know "what is the point of this? why are we here? where did we come from?" and then look to the heavens for our answer only to realize it's a very very big place that has more questions than answers to provide to us.

Why do you think people are interested in space exploration and aliens or anything like that at ALL? people think the answer is out there behind everything.

So then.....

in the quest to understand space and IT'S origin (which again, had to lead to our origin) we come up with the big bang theory, fine, great, super, now, explain where all of the conditions that created space came from? because right now as educated as we come across as trying to be, we're really in our "earth is flat, and has edges" phase when it comes to understanding space.

because back then, the earth was the capacity of our extended awareness, now that we're aware of earth's place in space, then we figured out our galaxy's place in the universe (sorta) we need to figure out where our universe's place in the next, as of yet, undiscovered, unnamed, "container" is.
Well, scientific method being what it is, the only thing we know for sure is that we don't know everything (and in reality probably know very little). The best we can give you is to explain the leading theories and how these theories came about. They do make sense, even if they're kind of hard to wrap your head around.

A 'container' is something that exists within the dimensions of our Universe. There needs be no container (and indeed, can't be in the sense you seem to be envisioning it) outside of the our Universe, because the dimensions we're familiar with don't apply there.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73