View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
host
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_O_Spades
I'd like to take a minute and comment on some of the other things you said, because I think it's quite telling you have some kind of bias against Canadian restaurant diners

I see what you did there...

Stealing service, and hostile to boot... Yep, we're about one step shy of hauling out our hockey stick and two-handing the server over the head before we take a crap on our table and leave.

You provided data supporting your opinion, yes. However, I know how I act and operate in American restaurants. I've dined many times south of the border. Sometimes with people that post on this forum. I suggest you ask them what their impression of THIS Canadian was while he dined in one of your fine establishments.

Beyond that, you're just making yourself look ignorant.

Oh, and you didn't respond if you expect me to tip more than 15%, which is my standard tip... And the standard tip expected when I ask people I know who work in the industry.
I work in the Atlanta market, I provided 2005 data on the average tipping percentage there. It is not much different in the other US cities mentioned.
In a fine dining niche with a professional front of the house staff, people with college and culinary school education who consider their position as a career, average gratuities are above what is quoted in the US survey. Nine out of ten of the diners who I serve, tip at least 20 percent on the check total.

Some customers tip less than 20 percent on bottles of wine, after the first bottle.

I recall when I was working in NYC, eight years ago, the average response in a tipping survey of restaurant patrons, was just above 18 percent.

Some restaurants in some markets are reduced, because of the practices of their customers, to adding a mandatory gratuity to each guest check, to reduce server turnover.

Most trust customers to tip an average amount, and in my experience, almost all do, above the average percentage in this market. I am sharing my anecdotal experience, and articles I have read.

You can and will, do whatever you want. My work is in one of the few areas where compensation is not agreed upon, before the work starts. That gives you the advantage. You have the option of taking the advantage, but there will be a reaction if you do that. You won't see it, because you decide how much to pay your server, at the end of the transaction.

The server's reaction manifests itself in other ways, since decent establishments have a strict prohibition against servers reacting negatively to or even discussing the amount of a tip, after the fact, with a customer.

Last edited by host; 01-28-2008 at 11:23 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73