Thread: Culture-jamming
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #36 (permalink)
Ustwo
Pissing in the cornflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randle2I
Perhaps you don't, but there are many people out there that this works on. No matter what the level of advertisement at some point in your life it's going to have an effect on your purchasing decision. It may be that when you see a BMW M series you quietly think to yourself "Ultimate Driving Machine", it might be something less intuitive like not buying an iPod because you associate them with elitist snobs, an idea reaffirmed by their advertising but not outright in spoken word. I myself have gone out of my way to order parts from certain Ford dealerships because they advertise on & support the SCCOA. So while you may not be a corporate slave I'm fairly certain that at some point in time advertising/name recognition/logo's have effected your purchasing.
The best way for me to NOT buy something is to over advertise it, but I know I'm not immune, really no one is, thats why the adds work.

For me the issue is, so what? We live in a time of insane prosperity by any past standards. I recall reading that an 'average' middle class lifestyle today would have required 125 slaves to maintain in ancient Rome. How they came to this figure I do not recall but its an interesting thought that for all our whining, even the poor are fat, healthier (despite their greater problems), and better educated than almost anyone up until this century. A big part of that are these corporations which people like to malign, but they have done FAR more good for people than harm. Its a system that overwhelmingly works.

So I'll raise my glass of Miller Lite, while watching the Superbowl on my Sony HD TV, and give thanks to the corporations that made it possible. They don't have to love me, they don't do it to be nice to me, but it all works out in the end.

Obama - Know a Man by the friends he keeps.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62