View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Dammitall
Yarp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaver
I know and appreciate what you're trying to do, but it really does come across as a holier than thou speech. In fact, while reading it, it reminded me of evangelicals speaking of nonbelievers in that they just don't understand why people don't see it their way.
Understandable. Because it's my honest opinion in something I care about, I'm going to stand by it.

Quote:
Public transportation only works in extremely condensed cities and only with massive amounts of funding.
It's true that right now public transportation is succeeding much more in certain places than others. I feel that is no reason that other places can't and shouldn't try to make it work, too, and I'm hopeful in thinking that some cities and communities are well on their way already. It's a worthy goal, in my mind, for there to be a renaissance in smart community planning across the country in the next one to two decades that will make it easier for many more people to get around without driving.

Quote:
One thing you're overlooking is the culture of America. The dream of raising the family in the suburbs, with the white picket fence, and the good schools just does not work in the city structure required for realistic public transportation.

Lets say you're 10 years older now, with a steady income and a couple of kids. Do you want your kids only ever seeing grass after a 2 mile walk to the local park? Do you want to give up on a car completely because you're never sure if you'll have parking? Do you want to spend the same in-city for a tiny 3 bedroom apartment then you can get a 5 bedroom house with a pool and a nice tv/game room with a 30min drive everyday?

Sorry, you can fight the good fight if you want. I'll take the pool.
Fortunately that dream isn't out of the reach of people who choose not to be wholly dependent on cars by any means, even now. More challenging, perhaps, but not out of reach.

In 10 years I hope to espouse similar values to these and am committing now to continuing the practices I'm trying to establish in my life today, bringing my family along for the proverbial ride if I can. Yes, I want my kids to see the value in getting on a bike or walking to where they need to go, as opposed to hopping in a car every time they need to travel two miles down the road.

By the same token, I can also see myself being happy living in a small home in a city (much like the home I live in now and plan to stay in for several more years); five bedrooms, three cars and a pool in the suburbs isn't nearly that important to my quality of life now and I don't see it being that important in the future.
If one million people replaced a two mile car trip once a week with a bike ride, carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced by 50,000 tons per year. If one out of ten car commuters switched to a bike, carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced by 25.4 million tons per year. [2milechallenge.com]

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy View Post
it's better if you can ride without having to wonder if the guy in the car behind you is a sociopath, i find.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54