View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
surferlove007
Junkie

Wow my parents personal hell as well.
My cat Lady Michelle Lump-A-Lot, yes that's her name. Also the thing that tipped me off was her age. Michelle is 11 years old which your cat is in the same range...they're veterans in the cat world. Anyways...

My parents have some very expensive hand-woven oriental rugs, probably several thousand a piece and when they got 3 younger cats (her juniors by 9 years) Michelle just started peeing on these rugs. Oh and then when they took the rugs away she started peeing on the bed, on my dads side since he was the one scolding her...dunno if she was doing that on purpose. My mom pretty much gave up on the idea of having nice rugs until she dies. Fortunately...the vet gave some much needed information which I will share with you!

Last time I went to the vet and asked him why she's been peeing everywhere. He said that there are entire seminars are why cats do this. It typically is a case with older cats. They do it to mark their territory sometimes. Some other options he told me was that her litter box was being guarded by another cat (if you have another cat this might apply to you) and that she needed atleast 2 extra litter boxes for herself that were not being guarded by other cats or animals. Also he said putting citrus smelling things such as certain cleaners around the rugs the cats will stay off them. (Think orange peels, lemon peels, those sorts of things.I believe they make citrus sprays that could work too. My dad ended up putting some of the goo be gone stuff on paper towels and sticking them underneath the rugs and it worked well with the Christmas tree.)
He also said it was because she might be borderline diabetic and with those cases they have less bladder control along with intaking a lot of excess water. So maybe keep and eye on her water intake.

What I did was put two extra litter boxes upstairs in places for her and she has stopped going on the rugs. For the longest times my parents were determined it was her revenge on them for letting me leave to go to school. So...those are just some things to consider.
Also some cats will only go ONCE in the stupid litter box, then it needs to be cleaned out again. If this is the case...get a litter maid auto cleaner. One of my sisters cats was that way and it was weird.

Overall these sort of things are soooo hard and frustrating.

Some questions that would help are....
Is she the only cat there?
Where is the litter box located?
Does she drink a lot of water?
Is she fixed?

Hopefully that will help a little...I just recall my poor parents complaining about the cat crapping on the rugs and destroying them and then ultimately I get the blame.

**Double post**

Last edited by surferlove007; 01-07-2008 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73