View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
ngdawg
peekaboo

Stereotypes are such because of a common link, albeit the lowest common denominator for any particular group. The stereotypical Jewish mother hovers and meddles, the stereotypical Italian mother overfeeds her kids, Asians can't drive, etc. Those are based on ignorance and gross over-generalizations.
If you are on call and a member of that particular race exhibits that behavior while being tended to, it is probably best to stick to off-the-books protocol and just go ahead and say "Mrs.O'Malley is exhibiting Irish Soda Bread behavior" than have to go into some unique description.
You know what you believe; there sometimes has to a compromise between personal belief and on the job behavior. If, on the other hand, comrades use the "Irish Soda Bread" call because they themselves are bigots, you have no reason to follow suit. Every culture has a uniqueness to it that becomes even more prominant in dire times and while the exact type of wording isn't apparent, time and experience will show what can be accepted and what just "isn't right".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesus
Also, fairy is another one that paints a picture. Those guys are my favorite type of people. I miss having my fairy friends. They're awesome drama queens and great to have around when getting dressed for a night out since they have style sense and are brutally honest while calling you darling and using words such as fabulous.
Oh, I love having gay guys around! Even my interior design instructor (a woman), said if we ever want to hire a designer, get a gay guy! They are brutally honest, but with flair!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54