View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #313 (permalink)
m0rpheus
bad craziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Famous
Im sorry, you are simply wrong.

If someone is knocked down they will be dazed and hurt. I am not talking about people who deliberately fall down to avoid blows, but people who who are hit to the ground.

MMA could be fixed by the rule change that I suggested - no blows thrown when on the ground.

If some cowardly fighterer falls down to avoid the blows when they are not hurt... they can either be counted out or get up and fight - like taking a knee.

And if the wrestlers want to go for take downs they can, they just cant throw punches of kicks at people who are down.

Some people can fight better in the wrestling stage, I agree. But when someone is punched to the floor, they cannot defend themselves... sometimes the 3 seconds it takes the ref to jump in and stop a fight while a downed man is beaten will not be enough to save a life.

MMA needs to ditch the "extreme" marketing and decide its course, either as a sport or as a brawl.

I will always believe that boxing, by the queensbury rules, is the ultimate test of manliness.

But the first boxing champion of the world - James Figg - fought under rules something like MMA, but it was still understood that when a man was put down he was either allowed to take the count of get back up and fight once he could defend himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Famous
A man who deliberately lays on the floor is not defenceless fine.

A man who is KNOCKED DOWN is defenseless, and the main issue with MMA as a sport is it allows a man who is knocked down (as opposed to taken down) to be pummelled.

If the sport had a simple rule change to say that strikes could only be thrown when both fighters were on their feet, and they when on the floor they could only grapple then most of the objections would be gone.

As kicks to the head of a grounded man have now been banned, perhaps MMA will move in this direction?
No sorry but you are wrong. You refuse to accept the difference between knocked down, and knocked out. If a fighter has his legs kicked out from under him is he dazed and defenseless? If he is knocked down and immediately goes into a defensive position is he defenseless? No. If a fighter IS dazed and unable to defend then the fight is stopped immediately because you must defend yourself at ALL times. Unlike boxing where you have a ten count to be able to gather yourself if you are knocked for a loop in MMA and unable to defend the fight is over. Period.
Also why should strikes only be thrown when standing? Many of the strikes thrown on the ground are body shots or light head shots with far less power than a strike while standing. So why throw them? So that the opponent will be forced to defend against that and leave themselves open to a submission.
Also the UFC has ditched the "extreme marketing" long ago. That's what almost killed the UFC was the total head in the ground attitude of the original owners. They refused to be sanctioned, they refused most rules, weightclasses etc and the UFC almost died because of it. The UFC now is nothing like the UFC then. They follow a set of rules that is approved by sanctioning bodies (in fact in most cases the very same sanctioning bodies as boxing) with penalties if said rules are not followed. Even some of the UFC's biggest opponents have accepted that the UFC is no longer the "human cock-fight" that Sen. John McCain once called it. McCain has since acknowledged the changes in MMA for the better and has been quoted as saying (sorry I can't find the article right now) that the sport has "grown up".

As to your earlier comments about it there never being the Mohammad Ali of MMA, how can you guess at this? If the sport continues to grow at the rate it is it will surpass boxing in popularity and it's mainstream knowledge continues to grow. Maybe the general public doesn't know who Matt Hughes is, but they know what the UFC is. Which is a far cry from what it was 5 years ago. 5 years ago MMA fighters would never be on the covers of major magazines, or featured on sports websites, or in newspaper sports sections.
Will there be a Mohammad Ali of the MMA world? Well there will only be one Ali. But will there be someone who is as well known as Ali? Perhaps. Remember the UFC is still young. It's easy for boxing fans to talk about the great champs of the past because boxing has been around for so long. The UFC has only been around for 14 years and has only been sanctioned for seven. I just wiki'd the list of current boxing champions. The only name I really recognized was Mayweather. I've heard of Klitschko before but couldn't pick him out of a lineup if you asked me. Not exactly inspiring there for the great sport of boxing.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73