View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #310 (permalink)
Strange Famous
follower of the child's crusade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuDa
As many have said before, this is simply not true.

You are confusing being knocked down with being knocked out. MMA rules state that the fight gets stopped if one fighter can no longer intelligently defend himself. Many many fights go to the ground, and the fighter that is initially taken down will win the fight. They are most certainly NOT defenseless. In fact, many fighters are even more dangerous on the ground and prefer to end things there. It's just a preference, and has nothing to do with manliness. I've also seen fights where one of the fighters (or both) will prefer to stay on their feet, and will deliberately wait to make the other man stand up. Again, just a preference that has more to do with strategy than the size of their cajones.
Im sorry, you are simply wrong.

If someone is knocked down they will be dazed and hurt. I am not talking about people who deliberately fall down to avoid blows, but people who who are hit to the ground.

MMA could be fixed by the rule change that I suggested - no blows thrown when on the ground.

If some cowardly fighterer falls down to avoid the blows when they are not hurt... they can either be counted out or get up and fight - like taking a knee.

And if the wrestlers want to go for take downs they can, they just cant throw punches of kicks at people who are down.

Some people can fight better in the wrestling stage, I agree. But when someone is punched to the floor, they cannot defend themselves... sometimes the 3 seconds it takes the ref to jump in and stop a fight while a downed man is beaten will not be enough to save a life.

MMA needs to ditch the "extreme" marketing and decide its course, either as a sport or as a brawl.

I will always believe that boxing, by the queensbury rules, is the ultimate test of manliness.

But the first boxing champion of the world - James Figg - fought under rules something like MMA, but it was still understood that when a man was put down he was either allowed to take the count of get back up and fight once he could defend himself.
without being uncovered."

The Gospel of Thomas

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73