View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
MontanaXVI
Junkie

I'm a PS3 owner from day one and I love it.

The firmware updates have added many new features such as upscaling of regular DVD's, audio playback for some of the newer **HD audio formats**, added rumble support (some games already support it even though the controller doesn't hit the states till next year) and just general bug fixes for the system. As for upcoming firmware, we will be getting full DIVX support to play all your DIVX movies right off of a USB drive or other media, as well as the rumor of XMB support for in game viewing of the XMB and friends list (Cross Media Bar/Start Page/Welcome Screen) of the system.

Someone mentioned above how they wouldn't touch Warhawk since it is online only, DO NOT let this deter you, this game is a blast. Well polished, well balanced and a lot of fun all around even though the learning curve might seem a little steep since you cannot take it offline and practice this game is pure fun. There are actually 3 different flavors of the game out there, one is download only from the PSN Store and costs $40USD but, it is linked to that system so only one profile could be played, 2nd version is also $40 USD but comes retail boxed and includes some extras such as a making of and behind the scenes stuff, then the 3rd version is also a retail box version but it costs $60 or $70 USD is exactly the same as the other retail version, except, it comes boxed with a Jabra Bluetooth headset for use with the game if you do not already have a headset you can use.

There is an upcoming patch for the game to help with the glitchers and cheaters (on every online game you have this so don't go saying there is no cheating on the Xbox Live) as well as a map pack/update for $8 that will include 1 or 2 new maps (one of which I believe is a night time map) some new dropship which is like a massive troop transport allowing you carry somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 troops (with weapons on board) as well as some sort of a vehicle transport allowing you to carry a jeep or other ground based vehicle and drop it off somewhere else.

If anyone else is online with their PS3 and wants to hit me up for some Warhawk action sometime just shoot me a friend invite to MontanaXVI on the PSN and put in TFP in the subject line. I'm by far not the best out there but I like trying, LOVE me some sniping too (just got my Master Sniper badge = 200+ sniper kills) working on my Warhawk sniper badge now = 1000 sniper kills.

**About the HD audio formats, some of you may be thinking if your home theater system doesn't say it can handle True HD or a new audio format you may be out of luck, but what myself and others have done is this. (The PS3 DOES NOT decode DTS-HD yet, but it can do Dolby True HD with the latest firmware update from Sony.

Let's say you have an older home theater system that won't do True HD try this as a workaround, take and have your PS3 output the audio signal as Linear PCM, then have your receiver accept the input of the PCM feed and just send it out to the speakers, there you have it as good as True HD. Since the PS3 can actually do all the audio decoding and then send out the decoded stream you are only using your receiver to pass the stream to the speakers in all it's glory.**

Last edited by MontanaXVI; 12-15-2007 at 08:56 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73