View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

Interesting article, I hadn't seen it. While I'm not particularly hopeful for a mid-season replacement, that could be hinting that Ferguson's days are numbered. The way I figure it, if the Leafs fail to make the playoffs (yet again) it's time for him to go. I mean, it's time for him to go anyway, but if this season continues in the way it's begun I don't see that anyone will be able to argue the point anymore. He's running the franchise into the ground.

As to goaltenders, I actually figure Raycroft would do well in the second slot, although I doubt that his ego would allow him to do that (taking the attendant pay cut, of course; that man is not worth $2m). Continuing the Joseph comparisons, I could see him throwing a hissy fit on par with the one Cujo threw when Mats got more than him.

Hell, let's be honest here, the entire club needs to be overhauled. They need new leadership (Mats was and is a talented player, but he's never been very effective as captain), they need tighter defence, they need just about everything. I honestly think that Maurice may be the man to do it, although it's hard to be definitive on that count; until he gets better support from the other side of the glass, there's no way of knowing for sure what he's capable of.

I'd actually like to see Dougie step up, although I don't recall hearing that he's ever expressed interest in the job. Him coming on-board as an advisor does put him in position to potentially be promoted to the job in the future and I could see him doing well in the role. 'Course, I'm biased, since some of my fondest memories are of the early 90's Leafs when Gilmour and Clark were at the top of their game; also, I felt generally bad for Gilmour after he came back and didn't even get a full game in.

On a semi-related note, didja hear that Cujo wants to come back now? I guess playing second fiddle to Hasek isn't sitting well with him, although I can't imagine even JFJ is dumb enough to think that it'd be a good idea to bring him back.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73