View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
silent_jay
Her Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
I'd actually like to see Toskala take the top spot in net. Raycroft when he's good is great, but when he's not... well. It's almost like Joseph all over again. I think Toskala has demonstrated a more consistent performance overall. Of course, goaltending only goes so far, the boys in blue still seem to be suffering from that chronic defence problem.
I'd like to see Toskala take the top spot as well, I totally agree he's been more consistent than Raycroft. I'd like to see them possibly get rid of Raycroft and his $2 million a year contract, oh why couldn't they have just kept Rask instead of trading him for Raycroft?
Quote:
And I hear ya on the embarrassment thing. That clobbering handed out by Phoenix was just painful to watch.
That was so painful to watch, my poor neighbours must have thought I was nuts all the swearing that was going on at the telly that night.

Did you happen to read this story today Martian?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=223757&hubname=
Quote:
A day after Toronto Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson Jr. denied reports that he tried to fire coach Paul Maurice, Ferguson himself might be looking over his shoulder.

Richard Peddie, the President of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment, told the Toronto Sun that hiring Ferguson, who had no prior experience as a general manager, was a mistake.

"To be honest, it was a mistake on my part for not fully understanding at the time what the job of being (the Leafs GM) in this market fully entailed," Peddie told the Sun. "Let's face it. It probably was the wrong place for a rookie general manager to start. I mean, all GMs make mistakes, but they are not under the constant microscope and scrutiny that you have in Toronto, which is, in our opinion, the top hockey market there is.

"That is all hindsight now. John has had time to learn a lot since then."

Under Ferguson, the Leafs have a 134-99-34 record and have made the playoffs just once in three NHL seasons.

The 40-year-old executive was a dark horse hire in August of 2003, beating out high-profile candidates like Neil Smith and Steve Tambellini for the position. Ferguson came on board with no previous GM experience, but worked as assistant general manager and vice-president and director of hockey operations for the St. Louis Blues. He was also a member of the Ottawa Senators' scouting staff from 1993 to 1996.

Peddie also denied reports that the Leafs have been looking for candidates to replace either Ferguson or Maurice.

"We have not had talks along those lines with anyone since the summer," Peddie said to the Sun, referring to the off-season hunt for a senior adviser to help Ferguson.

Despite the fan and media outcry for the team the make changes, he told the paper that they won't make any hasty decisions.

"We're not reactionary in this tough time but we feel (the fans' anger)," he told the Sun. "We read the papers. We listen to the talk shows. We know, believe me."

Highthief, I'm guessing you're a Sens fan, I may be wrong but you have that hatred toward the Leafs I saw when I lived in Ottawa.

Last edited by silent_jay; 11-27-2007 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Added Story

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73