View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
ScottKuma
Insane

I take all of this talk of Global Warming with a HUGE grain of salt. Simply put, I do not believe that we have a long enough and accurate enough scientific view to look at this with any sort of objectivity.

My wife and I heard a story the other day on the radio about 7000 year-old tree stumps that were being exposed by retreating glaciers in Alaska (I believe). My wife immediately turned to me and said, "Wait, 7000 years? and there were trees under there? That seems awfully cyclical, doesn't it?" And she's right. We can study ice cores, tree rings, etc. to get a glimpse at these conditions in the past, but we're performing extrapolations on this kind of data and declaring them to be verified and accurate scientific evidence. We certainly might be able to say that the Earth's temperature is trending upwards...but what leads us to believe that we are at the root cause of the problem?

I think that there is currently a LOT of money being made on the Global Warming bandwagon...and that much of that money is going to the very people screaming that we have to change our ways.

NOT THAT CHANGING OUR WAYS IS A BAD THING!!

I personally believe that better technologies out there for transportation, lighting, energy use, etc. have been overlooked because the tried and true existing tech is just that: tried and true. I am looking at a hybrid car - not because I necessarily wish to change the planet, but more for the dollar-and-cent fuel savings that it offers me at the pump. I am using CFL lighting in my home, especially for outdoor lighting & places where the lights are under heavy usage - and I've noticed a drop in my electric bill. I'm using an HE clothes washer in my laundry room, and I do see a water savings. Are these things more expensive in initial cost? Yes...so I do understand the allure of older, cheaper tech. But I am seeing a monthly change in my utility bills that, given time, will equalize the cost.

So I'm not against "reducing our footprint" - in fact I think it's our DUTY to do so now that technology has started to allow it. However, I do NOT want to be snookered or scared into lifestyle changes for an unprovable "the sky is falling" scenario.

GoogleMap Me

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62