View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
mandy
Addict

A very sad story

So, this might have been one of the most emotional weeks the city of Port Elizabeth has had in like ever.

6 children between the ages of nine and 14 were killed in a "taxi" (minibus) accident early in the week. 5 from the same school and one from another.

The accident enraged the community so much because we've been fighting losing battle basically with these taxi's who overload, sometimes double the capacity the vehicle can take, they speed, they drive drunk and basically they have no regard for other drivers or road users.

Now, I'm not saying it's all of them, because there are some who actually obey and do what's right when it comes to using our roads.

But, this taxi in particular, had been contracted out to the two schools to take and fetch these children in the mornings and afternoons.

The driver of this taxi, had been drinking, the taxi which was only suppose to be carrying 15 passengers, was overloaded by 12 and he had been going at a speed of 170km on a bridge that has been dubbed "the bridge of death" because of all the lives that have been spent there.

The driver lost control of the vehicle and it started to roll, one little boy was flung over 300m over the roof of a house to land in the yard of another house, a little girl killed on impact, another girl flung through the windscreen, died immediately, one boy who tried to hold out for the ambulance but died in his brother's arms...

The driver and the "conductor" of this taxi were seen jumping out of the vehicle as it started to roll...they walked away with just scratches.

Yesterday, there was a memorial service on the scene and literally thousands of people attended. I have never seen a community stand together like that before, to try and get the message across that these taxi's will have no more of our children's lives. But, the question that came to my mind then was "why only now?"

Anyways, I think the point of the community was made yesterday when the thousands who were there, marched from the scene of the accident to the taxi rank and had another little service there.

The driver appeared in court in the week and is being kept in jail until his sentencing for his own safety.

There was a mass funeral held today for these six little people and I just wanted to ask you guys to keep them and the bereaved families in your thoughts.

Thanks.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73