View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
amonkie
Drifting

Administrator
You are right off in the best position, as you are the owner of the property. As somoene who has been on the other end, it is a given that you are looking for a place where their established lifestyle meshes with your own.

I would be clear in what you are looking for a roommate when you make the posting - sometimes people expect their roommate to become their new social life, and lack of communication on this fact can possibly cause issues.

Have you considered posting a Roommate ad in your bellydance/burlesque circles? You would have a sense of compatibility in interests, and if they're anything like you, they'd be going non stop anyway.

Someone I was potentitally looking to live with back in January sent me the following question/answers about herself and asked me to answer back - they were great for preliminary lifestyle evaluations.

Quote:
Application for Residency
Why are you looking for a place to live?
Where was your last residence? How long did you live there? Why did you leave?
How long do you anticipate living here?
Do you have friends/family/significant other who might stay overnight? Who?
Where do you work? How long have you been working there?
Where do you go to school? What year are you? When do you plan to finish?
What do you intend to do for transportation?
Describe your relationship with your family?
The gal made comments as they were relevant to the questions, such as with owner's right, she got a spot on the driveway, and that she was close with her family and there were often neices/nephews over to stay the night.

Also, she completed a Lodge Guide - it was specific to her living situation, but it detailed how things work, what she's willing to be flexible on, and what is absolutely inflexible, take it or leave it ground rules.

At the time it was the most information i'd ever gotten for a potential roommate situation, but i've decided to take her approach should I ever be in the same position and seeking a roommate - it removes a lot of the surprises.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73