View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #72 (permalink)
dc_dux

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceventura3
Sure, I see what she did is wrong.

What I don't see is a clear connection to the Bush Administration. I doubt high level people in the bush Administration have given this issue, about a fish, much if any thought.
I dont see how you can say high level people in the Bush Administration have not given this much thought. She was the Dept of Interior Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife - the highest person in the FWS and one step below the Secretary of Interior. The connection is the pattern of similar practices of and tenuous connections of high level political appointees with regulated industries at numerous federal agencies.

Quote:
What I don't see is how this particular issue is anything other than a political issue, on both sides. Environmentalist are not above doing the things you accuse the administration of doing.
Environmentalists dont write or enforce regulations, nor can they suppress or alter federal science reports.. so they are in no position to do what Bush political appointees at federal agencies have done in a less than forthright and ethical manner.

Quote:
What I don't see is a pattern of how these issues elevate to making Bush the worst abuser of scientific data by any President in our history as suggested by many in the scientific community, many who have a political agenda.
If you can cite examples from previous administrations of suppressing and/or altering the work of career scientists in numerous agencies at, or even near, the same level as the Bush administration, then you might have case...but there is no such evidence.

I'll remind you of GHW Bush's words one more time that the son chose to ignore:
"Science, like any field of endeavor, relies on freedom of inquiry;`and one of the hallmarks of that freedom is objectivity.` Now more than ever, on issues ranging from climate change to AIDS research to genetic engineering to food additives, government relies on the impartial perspective of science for guidance."
Quote:
I don't dispute the facts.
In each of the three cases you attempted to expose (CDC, Bioethics Council, FWS), the facts are clear and convincing, at least IMO and in the opinion of many scientists in and out of the government, how this administration politicized science. Obviously, you disagree.

It appears to me that you just write it all off as "politics" so there is not point in any further discussion.

Others can continue this folly with you if they so desire.

Last edited by dc_dux; 07-18-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: added cartoon

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73