View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #211 (permalink)
filtherton
Junkie

Get some popcorn, this one's a doozy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Yes, most of the delicious stuff in science requires years of study. That doesn't make it unattainable to the masses, though. Yes, a lot of people are more knowledgeable on subjects like Clay Ainkin's sexual orientation, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not knowledgeable on how a skin cell works. The Discovery type channels have good viewership and cover a vast range of subjects. Even non-sciency shows like Good Eats feature lessons in organic and inorganic chemistry that are applied in front of your eyes to cooking a delicious meal.
I agree that there is a lot of pop science available for anyone who happens to enjoy such things. The discovery channel is a mixed bag. I like that show "how it's made", but they do seem to have a lot of what amounts to skin deep infotainment(hello shark week).

Quote:
Some people are sheep, of course, but many have shepherd skills that are applied with reason and scientific or social knowledge every day. I think that type of stereotype is disingenuous. I'd go as far as to say that for every 25 sheep there is a shepherd, which would translate to 280 million shepherds in the world. That's nearly the population of the US.
In this day and age, where there's so much stuff to know, there isn't anyone who knows enough about enough things to not be at the mercy of other people's judgment when it comes to the dissemination of information. Even if someone happens to be extremely intelligent and well read, they're still going to have to rely on other people's interpretation of things which they don't understand.

I'm not sure how the subject of sheep came up, as the herd-like behavior isn't necessarily that important in the context of anything i've said. I don't think the fact that humanity can be thought of as an interconnected, interrelated community(essentially the sheep thing) is that relevant to the notion that in a complex world such as ours it is essentially impossible for one person to go about their daily business without needing to, at some point, rely on the judgement and knowledge of someone with more information or experience.

As it stands, most people have very limited knowledge of math or science, and if you happen to be going to school for anything remotely math-y or science-y they will readily tell you this if your area of study ever happens to come up in casual conversation. The next time you meet someone new, tell them you're taking a multivariable calculus class, probably 7 times out of ten you'll get a pair of wide eyes and algebra lamentations as a response. Then tell them that calculus is the study of the ramifications of division by zero, and 7 times out of ten they won't have any clue that you're full of shit.

These people are vulnerable in a sense; it doesn't take much effort to fool them when they trust your authority on a given subject and have no idea what you're talking about. Just look at the current global warming debate. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people who have a firm opinion on the subject have absolutely no clue about the models used to predict its effects. Even when you have two people who do know what the science is, they can and will offer widely divergent opinions on the matter (ustwo and i think superbelt).

All this blabbering is really just to say that the idea that we will be better off if more people fly the flag of rationality and science completely ignores the facts that:

1) Most people hate math and/or science(except perhaps for the pop variety).
2) Even people who love math and/or science are limited in their knowledge by the sheer magnitude of things out there to know.
3) A strong cultural commitment to science as a functional alternative to a cultural commitment to religion is meaningless if the majority of people in a society can't actually be bothered to learn the science; you'll just end up with an identical power structure that's just as liable to hijacked by those with ulterior motives(see stalin).
4) Human beings aren't rational in any sort of consistent way, therefore it is pointless to claim that there is any sort of more rational alternative to the current status quo. After all, the atheist position must assume that humans are self-organizing and therefore completely responsible for the current state of affairs. It isn't religion that has gotten us in this mess, it is us.

Now, none of this is to say that atheism necessarily need by thought of as the more rational alternative to religion, or that a bold new age of rational knowledge awaits us just beyond the horizon if only we can throw of the shackles of spirituality. It's just that this is the way that new atheism is commonly framed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger777
Oh so saying black people are more physically gifted and that women are shorter than men is a racist and sexist statement? PLEASE lol. It's simply statistics, it's fact. As for sterotypes, they're natural and must be made in order for us to get a greater understanding of someone we don't know. Sure they can be completely off, but if you ever meet that person you'll obvoiusly readjust your opinion about them. If you see someone with gang tattoos on their arms, the sterotype that gang members are more often than not more dangerous than the average person walking in the streets will aid your survival and make life a whole lot easier if you avoid that person. Sure this person could be a good person but this is the image they're representing so the fact that people will be less inclined to interact with them is due to the choice they made to join a gang.
Yes, i know that stereotypes can sometimes be useful when judging people we don't know. However, if what you're actually seeking is some sort of general truth, i find that it is best to leave them at the door. We aren't in the street here.

Quote:
I wouild say there are more irrational religious people, did you not see that poll taken, 51% of Americans don't believe in evolution? That says a lot about humans in general and is quite mind boggling. Those are the group of people i'm talking about when I say they simply ignore any threat to their comfortable belief system, they literally turn their brain off, and will not even consider the possibility of something that is threatening to their faith. Oh ye of little faith?
I'd be interested in seeing how you were able to correlate belief in evolution with the ability to think rationally. You know that conclusions arrived at through rational means aren't necessarily correct? I can think rationally and believe that the universe revolves around the earth, it would be necessary that i start with some probably pretty ridiculous assumptions, but it could be done rationally.

As far as ignoring threats to comfortable belief systems, did you know that einstein disliked quantum mechanics so much that he spent his dying breath trying to come up with a unifying theory that would render it obsolete? He didn't like the idea that the universe left things up to chance. From what i understand, it's actually pretty normal for more established scientists to discourage people whose theories might threaten the current status quo.

Quote:
I don't see how bringing up 6 examples out hundreds of millions of people is relevant.
Well, when the six(5 actually) examples are responsible for relativity, genetics, calculus, and mechanics one might wonder, what the hell those hundreds of millions of people ever did for science?

Quote:
Yes but if someone asks a scientist the sun revovles around the earth he'll get an answer. If you ask God that question, you probabaly won't receive any answers anytime soon.
Ask the scientist what happens after you die, or why we exist, i guarantee you that if s/he is an actual scientist the answer you get won't be any more substantial that the one you'd get from your diety of choice.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73