View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #84 (permalink)
Telluride
Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
You don't have to allow them to do it. You are always free to home school them, of course. Meanwhile the HS around the corner from my house (Willow Glen HS, San Jose, CA) already has it. None of the parents complained. You can't go to dances or school events if you've not done 10 hours per year. Sure, some of the students probably groan, but they do it and it doesn't kill them.
I actually am considering homeschooling my children (I would feel this way regardless of any community service requirements at local schools, though).

Quote:
The volunteer organizations don't own the children, so the 'being loaned out' thing is very inaccurate. 'Subjugation' is downright misleading. No one is being conquered. No one is being forced into a cruel situation.
I disagree. A little later in your post you say, "They're not being forced at all. No one said that you have to graduate from high school. No where is it written that it's illegal not to have a diploma. Jeez. They can flunk until they turn 18, and then mow lawns for the rest of their lives."

Not everyone is able to homeschool or send their children to a private school. So if these people live in a school district that requires community service to graduate high school they are stuck with two options:

1) Allow the school to force their children into involuntary servitude.

2) Defend their childrens' rights at the cost of them being able to graduate.

That seems like a damned cruel situation to me.

Quote:
Are the people in this thread in charge of the program? No? Then strawman it is.
Interesting. You called my argument a strawman before I said anything about the people in this thread. What was your original basis for that statement?

Anyway...it's not a strawman because what I said is true. It's pretty obvious to me that the motivation behind community service requirements are political in nature. The public school employees who would implement such policy are government employees.

Quote:
Or they can stop being babies and do what's asked of them.
Someone who resists a violation of his or her rights isn't being a baby.

Quote:
Right now the non combat people, National Guard, for example, are being shipped over to Iraq. I'm sure they'd be frustrated that you think that there are going to be ways to join up and not get shipped out in a few months to a very dry, hot place. With a gun.
National Guard isn't non-combat. I'm talking about a non-combat job, such as a cook or office worker.

Quote:
It's a volunteer program in that they get to choose which program they volunteer for. Many schools don't even have lists to choose from. Kids can go out and find something they might like and do it.
It's not a volunteer program if people are forced to volunteer. That's forced labor where the laborers get to pick where they work.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73