View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
moot1337
Insane

They're copperwashed, with a small hollowpoint. Are the game-shoks actually jacketed? I didn't know there were 22LR's that came with a real jacket.

In my 10/22 the dyna's are much cleaner than any other bulk ammo I've used, though I know a great deal of that is the propellant alone. I also clean my rifle habitually with a patch worm. The patch worm (or homemade implement of the same type) will clean any barrel more safely than brushes and steel rods, and has no way to really damage the bore. For really tough copper/lead fouling, you can use the felt buttons with brass fibers for the patch worm, or use an intensive solvent like Wipe-Out for an hour or overnight. In my rifle I've only ever had to use patches and solvent, though.

Oh, as a side note: I remember the thunderbolts well. I hated their propellant - it got my entire action gunked up after a while, and didn't shoot for sh*t. I also remember remington golden bullets - the bulk extra cheap ammo. The consistency was so bad every shot *sounded* different from the last: Pop, ping, pow, bang, pew, poo, blam, pop, kink, zoik, putt, splat. Dirty as the thunderbolts, so I shot em all rapidfire and never went back.

CCI is also a good manufacturer, but their rounds are a bit more specialty than bulk and cheap. Dynapoints can be had for $10-12 per 500, but I don't know of anything widely available from CCI for the same price. However, CCI mini-mags and velocitors are the most fun to shoot rounds I've used - you get a real BLAM out of em, and they're pretty consistent. Make sure you don't shoot Stingers by them, because their cases are too long and could mess up your chamber. Also, the twist rate is wrong for such high velocity, so accuracy goes down the crapper . The plastic cases are very nice to reuse for bulk rounds, too.

Dynapoints are much quieter, which I like for bulk shooting. They may also, depending on your barrel length, be subsonic. They're subsonic for me out of a 20" (I think) barrel, but should be supersonic out of the stock 16.5" 10/22 (mine's a wal-mart special, from before they stopped selling guns).

Oh, one more thing: get rid of that barrel band on the front of your gun. It'll only decrease consistency and accuracy by binding the barrel to the stock. Ideally, you want the barrel to be floating in the barrel channel. The receiver may be aluminum, but it's pretty tough and can handle floating a 16.5" tapered barrel. With heavier or longer barrels, or if you're paranoid, you can add a single pressure point to the very front of the stock to apply upward pressure, but you want to avoid binding it to the stock as much as you can. Try sanding it out until a dollar bill will slide under the barrels length with you holding it under the barrel - the factory barrels arent *terrible*, but the stock setup is

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again
how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

Oh, certainly, sir.

Last edited by moot1337; 06-20-2007 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73