Thread: Males hugging
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Carno
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan
I don't know Carno... why don't you tell us?
Uh, one generally asks questions to learn something they didn't know before. That's why I asked him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFriendly
Well, it's still not widely accepted by many people in my country, and I've been to many places in the US that seem to still harbor a very psychotic paranoid homophobia. Also, guys in general aren't always the best at communicating their feelings.

I say feminine side because in my experience it is something female friends do all the time and no one thinks anything of it. Yet it's something you rarely see males do.

The hangups of old I'm referring to are the rigid rules and ideas of gender rolls and sexuality. You must be straight, a women must cook and clean, and man must work and provide. Unfortunately, I live in a country whose old and out of touch prime minister would love to see a return to the 50's where homosexuality was taboo, women stayed home and raised the kids, and men were more or less the entire work force.

You're right to question my comment, I still believe those hang ups still exist. As a generation Y, I take far too many freedoms for granted and don't even think twice of it. But the older generation grew up in a very different time when what is social acceptable, especially between males, was much more rigidly defined.

And for what it's worth, I grew up in a Catholic family, my old man was quite a devote and religious man, and still is, but he's always accept us for who we are. I've always been raised with the idea that you can be who you want, and as long as that's what you believe, that shit will fly. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who seem too scared to break away from the imposed norm.

I can only comment on the experiences of where I'm from, and what I've seen.
Hmm, I've never run into a guy who was afraid or embarassed to hug, but then again I'm not a touchy-feely person, so I don't generally go around hugging lots of guys. I usually don't hug friends unless I haven't seen them in a long time or won't see them for a long time. I don't mind hugging anyone (as long as I know them well enough), but I like to do it sparingly. I'm just not a really touchy person. I prefer to show my affection in non-physical ways.

I don't really have any use for gender roles and other such nonsense either. I guess it will continue to be the norm until more old people start dying off and the younger generation's world view will become the new norm.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73