View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
blade02
Insane

I'd emploment my "exercise bike" idea. Humans on stationary bikes hooked up to generators can produce a good deal of electricity. Most modernized countries are running into problems producing enough electricity. Using the US as an example, there are roving brown outs in California each summer, obviously they have a lack of electricity. But how does one produce more electricity? There are special interest groups that oppose every form of power plant that we have created so far. Hydro-electric? Can't do that, fish can't find their way home after a river is damned. Nuclear? Can't do that because radiation is scary. Coal? Who wants big billowing towers of black smoke (even though last time I took a tour of a coal burning power plant, the air was actually quite clean) Windmills? Last time someone proposed making a windmill farm, residents complained it'd ruin their spectacular ocean view. Get the point? So how do we generate the electricity needed to power a modern civilization? With hundreds of thousands of "Bike Plants".

But who do we get to pedal the bikes? Don't have a job? Drawing welfare? Well if you're able bodied and fit, you'll no longer be getting a check from my government. Instead you'll be given the choice of vocational training (its free, you learn a skill, you earn your money), or you go pedal and earn your money. Are you a "citizen" with no birth certificate, social security number, or green card? Want to be deported? If no, then off to the Bike Plant to earn your citizenship (i figure 1 to 2 years, with language and vocational classes taught in the evenings).

As an added bonus, certian modern countries are fighting a battle against obescity. What better way than to pay people for their time at the gymn? I also figure that making it mandatory that all students say (say a year before graduation) work a minimum of 20 hours a week in the Bike Plant. This not only ensure that our youth are becoming fit and healthy, but also gives every kid the experiance of having a part time job.

Every person except criminals (who of course would be forced to work in special prison bike plants while serving their term) would be paid. Naturally, pay would be based on Killowatts produced. No nonsense of showing up and being a lazzy ass while someone is busting their ass, and expecting to make the same amount of money.

I'm sure there are other benefits of having human produced electricity. And I think that the outline for this also covers my stances on a wide range of issues.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73