View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Mango
Psycho

Terrible Lie! Share untrue things people have said about you

What lies, if any, have been told about you? Was the lie absurd, hurtful, infuriating, or downright ludicrous? Is it something that actually could have happened but didn't?

My best friend during adolescence is a compulsive liar. (This, among other things, is why she is no longer a friend of any sort.) She lied about anything and everything, and often wove me into her fabricated tales (usually when I wasn't around).

If the storyline required it, she would tell me to whom the lie was told, what the cock-and-bull story was, my role in the fictional account, and what I should say should the person or persons ask about it. I hated it and did my best to deny these untruths or not go along with them. In fact, there were so many lies that I couldn't remember the details anyway!

(Unfortunately, I'll never know how many falsehoods she spread featuring me as a star or supporting character when I wasn't present. Oh well.)

I'd have to say my all time favorite was the time I "saved her life."
This one happened when I was around 15. She moved away and I didn't drive, so to visit I needed a ride. Her new boyfriend offered to take me. I was hesitant to accept, dreading a long drive with him for certain reasons. Two of them are important to the situation I faced:

- "What the hell am I going to talk about with this dude? I don't really know this guy!"
- He had a speech impediment, making it difficult for me to understand 100% of what he said. (As I got to know him, I was able to understand him about 99% of the time.)

I accepted the ride, during which we started to get to know each other better. Somehow the topic turned to him swearing if anyone ever hurt my friend, he would either beat or kill them. And if someone ever hurt me, he'd do the same. Because he was just like me!

He said something along the lines of, "I'll never forget that you saved Lee Ann's life. You were so brave and that's what I would have done."
Me: "Huh?"
Him: "You know, when you took that baseball bat and beat Tommy up. It's a good thing you were there to protect her, he could have killed her!"
Me, thinking I misunderstood him because of the speech impediment: "Who's Tommy? What are you talking about?!"

The following scene never happened:

During one of my previous visits, "Tommy" came to LA's home in the country with the intention of killing her. He might have been wielding a weapon of some sort. I can't remember who she claimed this fictional person was. An ex-boyfriend? A member of the "gang she'd [not] been in"? The possibilities seem endless.

Her dog was tied up, but he was barking like mad and warned us of the approaching danger. "Tommy" may have even hurt the dog...

"Tommy" tried to attack her, but was no match for me. I'd grabbed a baseball bat and proceeded to beat him senseless with it, disregarding my own safety to fight for our survival. I was yelling things at him during my assault, telling him he'd made a mistake messing with her and me, I'd kill him if I saw him again, things of that nature.

He ran away and never came back.

I was sitting in the passenger seat looking puzzled by this saga. As her boyfriend recounted the story, it started to sound vaguely familiar. She must have told me about this on a previous occasion, in case it ever came up. Of course I had better things to do than keep track of her tall tales; it went in one ear and out the other.

The fact that he had to "remind" me of my heroic act should have clued him in to the spurious nature of the information.

It didn't.

He also didn't believe me when I said it didn't happen. They eventually married, and AFAIK they still are, and he still thinks I saved her life.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62