View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
aceventura3
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_dux
I dont think you understand the difference between a confirmation hearing and a legislative hearing.
The point is that the Iraq war/the war on terror and how it is being executed is the defining issue of our generation. The majority of Americans and the majority of Congress believe the President's war policy and strategy are flawed. Flawed to the point where they want to send a non-binding resolution and/or cut funding.

Under these circumstances, I think Congress should do everything in their power to do what the American people want. You seem to want to excuse a "rubber stamp" confirmation. On one hand you have written about the oversite role Congress has and the failing under Republican leadership, now you seem to take the position that "rubber stamping" what Bush wants is o.k. If Congress has a strategy in mind to change our course with this war, I can understand. But it is clear either their strategy has failed to this point, they don't have one, or it is working and they got what they want.

Again you assume I don't understand, when I am on a totally different level. Do you need a simplistic analogy so you can understand the level I am on, or do you get it?

Quote:
The Dems accomplished exactly what they wanted and have the support of the majority of the voting public. The non-binding resolution was a first-step, and they will continue to represent the will of the people by taking further steps, without putting the safety of the troops in jeopardy.
How does the non-binding resolution help move Bush in a new direction? How does the non-binding resolution help the troops? How does the non-binding resolution reflect the will of the American people to bring our troops home? What is the next step? Why not just get to the point, rather than wasting time with non-binding resolutions? The are just questions in my head, I don't expect answers. In fact I don't want answers, because I suspect the answers would be b.s.

Quote:
I think it speaks to the value of the non-binding resolution that Condi Rice made reference to it this past weekend in meetings with Iraq govt officials:

If it does nothing more than get the Iraqis to get off their asses and address the hard but necessary political and security issues with a greater sense of urgency, it has been effective.
What message do you think it sent to the insurgents? Terrorists? Iran? Surrounding ME countries? Iraqi people wanting stability?
"A lady screams at the mouse but smiles at the wolf. A gentleman is a wolf who sends flowers."

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73