View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
raeanna74
I'm not a blonde! I'm knot! I'm knot! I'm knot!

Thanks guys for the suggestions and ideas. I finally did the class and it was great. If any of you have an opportunity to do this I highly recommend it. Even if you don't have a perfect body. For anyone who is expecting - the teacher told me that she had one woman do it who was 9 months pregnant and she purchased some of the sketches from the students. What a GREAT momento. She said they're always looking for models of different body types. It was fun and a great learning experience too.
It was handled all very professionally (I expected it would be but I'm sure there are instances where something comes up that causes tension sometimes. We don't live in a perfect world.) They talked about Rubenesque women before we even got started and there was a brief comment that I have the 'classical Rubenesque' figure. It was said in a positive tone because it allowed the students to try to DRAW that just after they had analyzed it in the slide show at the beginning of class. They liked the poses I chose (thanks to everyone here I had plenty to choose from) and they seemed to enjoy drawing them. After they'd drawn the action poses the teacher had the students pick their favorite pose of all the ones they'd drawn and place it in front of their bench. Then everyone looked at all the drawings and picked their favorites and talked about them. There were some very nice drawings that I may want to purchase even. I did talk to the teacher later about buying some and she said that would be fine. Then they did a few simple standing poses so they could get body proportion and shape right. They picked their favorite drawing again after two of those. Then they did the final pose where the teacher helped direct my pose. Then she threw a sheet over me and asked the students to draw me as a LANDSCAPE first. After they'd drawn in the simple shape of me she took the sheet off and they filled in the body. The students really enjoyed it and the ones who had struggled with proportion before managed to get things right. They weren't thinking "this is an arm" but rather, "this is a shape" and it turned out to be an arm. There were a few comments made by teacher or students while I was posing that were kind of funny. One was I heard one student say to another that "she doesn't have any bush" lol. It was said in a "wow, what do I do with this?" tone. Another student was having trouble drawing my breasts and the teacher was trying to help direct him. He'd apparently started them too high and once he fixed that he still thought they didn't look right. The teacher then commented that "You're making her boobs too big." lol and one final comment that was fun was, while they were looking at and commenting on some of the drawings, one student said "she needs to be drawn thinner here, she looks too thick in THIS drawing" He was talking about where you could see my belly. Though my belly isn't fat, it is a LITTLE rounded, and the student had seen that when he drew me. The other student seemed to think that my belly wasn't that rounded. I just said "Thank you." and all the students chuckled.
When all was said and done, after looking at artwork created from my body, I feel BEAUTIFUL. I could see myself as others see/saw me. I see my pooch when I look down at my belly, but they saw a curvy, voluputous, Rubenesque woman. I was amazed at how beautiful I looked in art. I don't think it's vain to think that, really. I LIKED looking at the drawings of me. I even LIKED the drawing that showed my belly as more rounded than the one student thought it was. It was a revelation and comforting.
I'm going once again in a month and then another month after that. Not very frequently obviously but it's an opportunity and learning experience that I'm not going to throw away. I'm glad I did it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73