View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Willravel
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.

This is partially tongue in cheek, but the divergence of homo sapiens is something of a taboo in the scientific community because it's unlikely (to say the least). I'm not 100% sure that the traits present in either or both groups would need to increase or decrease the ability to reproduce children. I think that as each group fills a niche, they may find that adaptation to that niche is inevitable. For example, from a psychological/philosophical standpoint, I see a fundamental difference between the thought processes of atheists and theists. When that is put into a situation where breeding involves the favorable trait, you might see atheists in a theist community not getting the nookie and visa versa. In other words, atheism and theism would see a separation that was aided by favorable traits.

The real question to this: is there a genetic predisposition to faith vs. skepticism? If so, then it's within the realm of possibility. If not, then it's so unlikely it should be dropped immediatally, and I should be sacked.

Let's say, hypothetically, that there is a genetic predisposition to theism, or leaps of faith, and atheism, or skepticism. Let us also say, hypothetically, that one cannot be socially compatable with the other because the traits are socially in opposition. Let us say that leads to theists only breeding and living in communities of theists, and atheists only breeding with and living in communities of atheists. I think that 1) we could very well see that things like stem cell research (something generally accepted by atheists and generally frowned upon by theists) and other morally questionable scientific research could create a gap between the two divirging societies. That gap could lead the atheist society into more biomechanical directions, man + machine. The thesim society, on the other hand, is more likely to slow in it's development of technology (as was proven by the dark ages, thesim can often lead to a cautiousness of development and progressive thought, as the doctrines are based on ancient law and society). Who knows? Maybe the athiest sociey eventually decides to artificially evolve with the use of their own technology.

This is all flights of fancy, of course, but it's sure fun.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73