View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paq
Junkie

While i think this is pretty stupid, i can see where they are coming from. While most of you say that someone who walks out in the street in a stupid manner is only hurting himself...well, you forget that there is a driver who has now killed someone and is facing manslaughter charges...and has to live with that trauma. i think they are just trying to cut down on stupid deaths.

however, you could extend that to say they are punishing the ones that survive the stupid act while nature takes care of the rest...so, in effect, punishing the ones who are intelligent enough to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time....

Then again, its' stupid and isn't going to help anything and is pretty pricey and just more ammo for people to use against the politicians involved.

just my quick thoughts on it. in short, i think it's stupid, but i can actually see why they would try to enact something.

as for the smoking thing...what happened to people's rights to breathe fresh air when in a restaurant or just in public? i know its' been discussed ad nauseum, but it's just my simpleminded take on that. Now, in someone's home, i really don't care at all unless there are kids involved, but still, even then, if someone wants to smoke, great. i think it's stupid, but i'i don't think anything should stand in their way...then again, i feel that way about most drugs. at that point, it doesn't affect me or the public at large.

as for corporations...bottom like is $$$, nothing else and i don't see how anyone can trust them any farther than that. i think they would run over anyone if the gov't didn't restrict some activities.

and as for health insurance..heck, there are millions without it...

I think that testing for nicotine is very risky bc of the public smoking sphere. I have never smoked in my life, but i'm exposed to enough that i'm sure i would fail a test to detect nicotine. i can honestly see why an insurance company would raise premiums for people who smoke. i mean, i know they raise them if you engage in risky behaviors, have a risky job, etc, so i don't think it's unreasonable for them to raise rates for smokers. heck, mine went up just bc i got a year older.

then again, this si all slippery slope stuff to me. I mean, if smoking is bad enough for rate increases, what about sugar, carbs, protein, lack of veggies, soft drinks, spicy foods, breathing within 50 miles of arizona, having sharp objects, running with scissors, having clumsy feet..well, you get the point.

so i'm obviously conflicted here, but i can see both sides of the issue. I do think, however, that there is an agenda against electronics in general. Early cars almost banned radios, cell phones are always under attack, in dash tvs have many laws against where they can be placed, and it's just the sheer number of distractions. I would hope common sense would take care of this in the long run.

Chris

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73