View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
brandenR13
Upright

ADD gets Worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peryn
Hes in algebra and they are doing those 2 and 3 variable questions. Reasonably tough stuff for the beginning/middle of 8th grade. He solves most of them in his head. Thus math is very tough for him. He cant comprehend the reason for showing his work, or why he should do the steps they tell him to, if you can just solve it in your head. So naturally he gets irritated, starts stressing and getting on everyones nerves. Not because he is a bad kid, but because the rest of the world just doesn't move as fast as he does.
Um... I would say that I was in the exact same situation five or six years back when I was in the seventh and eighth grades, I won some serious academic prizes for tests and stuff in math. But then a terrible thing happened, math got to a point where the indices where too complex for me to quickly arrange solutions in my mind, I mean, mathematics, in the Ontario educatin system where I live, gets into parabolic equasions at the tenth grade level, and suddenly all the detail management, memorization and carefull process which had seemed like an excess burden before became crucial to acheivement, and it didn't matter how fast I could think, because only practice and long term-attentiveness to tedious assignments could help me.
The main dificulty has been with attention and memorization of very specific detail that cannot be produced through abstract thinking and every day concept connection, eventually I found myself unable to maintain performance in sciences, which i love as much as math, I can't accept significant speaking parts in my community theatre troupe because I'm unable to memorize lines and am unpredictable onstage because I forget blocking, I have difficulty at my job because I lack attention to detail, and now in university I am unable to complete assignments on time and I am receiving the lowest grades of my life even though I am attending an excelent institution.
For many years I've tried to discipline myself when I lost my belongings, tried my best to concentrate on study materials and begin assignments in advanced and tried to improve my performance at my job, also I've struggled with my weight. Alll this has only resulted in my having a abysmaly low self estem.
I am still very knowledgable, an excelent conversationalist, a decent poet, and I wan't to try to make my life work, and for that reason, for the first time in eighteen years, I've booked a doctor's appointment and I'm going to try to get some medicine and some help outside my familly and friends.
I think fooling someone intp thinking they can handle recurring mental health issues without medication is potentialy very dagerous, If i had flat feet, I'd get secial suports in my shoes, if I had diabeities I'd get isuline, but I have a sick mind, and it maddens me that scocietal bias against medicine for these kinds of issues has persuaded me to go without professional help for so long.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73