View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
mixedmedia
has all her shots.

So, what? Is it better that the Vietnamese remain impoverished? The world is growing smaller. Americans just may have to accept that the dynamics of the global economy are changing and get used to the competition. It has to happen. We cannot afford to let entire nations of people dwindle in economic isolation any longer. No matter how you slice it, more jobs in Vietnam is good for the Vietnamese. And as their economic conditions start to improve, so will their technology, education, healthcare and infrastructure, to name a few. And as a result, their workers will become more skilled and flexible and earn better wages, open their own businesses, invent their own unique commodities and services, and join with us in the world economy with the hopes of more opportunity for their children than their own parents ever dreamed possible. Just as it is happening in India and China.

Now, I'm not being all Pollyanna-like and asserting that there will be no growing pains or conditions for opportunism and corruption, as there is always, just that I cannot, for the life of me, understand why someone believes that the overall good for people who are struggling to survive is less important than their grudge against "multi-nationals." It is a catch-22 situation for us all, as those multi-national corporations who are benefitting from the current influx of cheap labor in our traditionally disadvantaged neighbors in the world, they are also enabling them to become better paid, better educated, better informed and, as a result, more demanding as workers and less of an advantage to them. I know if I have considered this certainly so have forecasters in the "multi-nationals."

Oh, and more demanding workers will also mean more demanding citizens who will feel more enabled to protect their communities from environmental exploitation and contamination.

It goes on and on. I'm sure I could come up with more if it weren't so late.....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73