View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
conundrum73186
Upright

ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrlord
I was diagnosed with ADD (inattentive type) about two years ago. It took quite some time because I also have bipolar disorder and they have similar symptoms. Once I finally learned to get my bipolar symptoms under control through what I later learned was self-imposed cognitive therapy, I really ran into a wall with the ADD symptoms. My case is rather severe, to the point where I can hardly accomplish daily activities. It turns out that most of my depression seems to stem from that, rather than my concentration problems stemming from depression as the doctors always told me.

Getting to the topic, I've tried practically all the ADD medications out there. I was on Wellbutrin before the diagnosis, and though they say it's supposed to help, I didn't find much relief other than a general sense of greater awareness of my surroundings. I couldn't concentrate any better. I took Adderall and Concerta (long-acting form of ritalin) but they made me really edgy and uncomfortable. I tried Strattera, hoping that a non-stimulant would help me more, but unfortunately it doesn't react well with the albuterol inhalers I use for asthma, and I ended up with panic attacks and very high blood pressure. Right now, I've been taken off my other stimulant medications and weaned myself off all caffeine (difficult, since I used that to concentrate for many years) and am starting on Adderall again. It seems to be helping.

In other areas, I'm working on getting more exercise, since that's said to help with ADD, and I'm taking fish oil and ginkgo biloba, which I hear good things about but don't seem to help me much. Next, I'm going to look into changing my diet, since some think certain foods have an effect on ADD. I'm also looking into Zen meditation, which can increase focus and help keep the mind on track.
- 20 y.o. male

Ted,

your case and mine are very similiar.....i was diagnosed bipolar type 2 when i was a child and recently add.....i take 7000 mb of fish oil a day and was recently prescribed 100 mg bupropion which i look forward to getting titrated up to therapeutic dosage... like you i also note that greater sense of awareness in addition to visual clarity...

i am also interested in meditation...which i did a great deal of as a youth

im very lethargic, unmotivated, unemployed... without space to breathe and in a counter productive stress inducing enviornment that exasperpate the symptoms of both of the disorders

i have a feeling things will take off when i get a job and get the medication regulated..im hoping to get on a bupropion (wellbutrin) adderral combo

i have a membership at the following website http://www.healingwell.com/community...12&m=669073and made writtances under the add section

if interested...id like to talk with you more and comparitively share experiences, diagnoses , treatments etc

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73