View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
newton50
Upright

Hard drive question

Hello, I'm new and I have a question regarding a hard drive.

I found your site through a search with this drives moel #, and came to this popst, where I see it was jnot reall answered , but a quite some time ago.

http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=39446

I searched and I can't find anything yet, that explains the pins on this drive either. yep it's the same one as the old post too,
a Maxtor 9108d5 .

I have assembled quite a few PCs in my day and seen my share of drives, just not many old Maxtor drives, and none with no real diagram or pin situation like this one, that I can recall. I have seen a Maxtor with at least the pin's solder opints ID'd by MS and CS , master and cable select as far as I have been learned, but this one has none of that.

All I am trying to do is change from master mode to slave mode. I know I will be able to find it if I just keep trying different positions, but I hate to do that knowing there is a rare chance (which seems to always get me) of screwing something up with the wrong connection. I don't know that it will happen on a drive but I don't want to prove that point either.

This really is the bulk of the diagram short of being surrounded by a rectangle, basically:

Jumper/master/single/slave
j50 / on / off

I have one jumper on the two vertical pins to the far left which on the other maxtors I have seen is for the master position, if I remember right.(that could be a problem with my memory as of late)

Just thought I'd ask since I saw it listed here first and it looked as if noone really was familiar, going by the old thread, and I have to say I can relate totally to the original poster, and understood his post , very easily, as he said all there is to say, if you have seen one of these drives.

I probably will have found my answer with my next reboot in a few minutes I am sure.

I just hate to see an unanswered question regardless of how old it is, plus I cruised around some and thought this seemed like nice group of people.

I like to pick people's brains from time to time, (as long as I am not annoying someone) and am happy to help as long as I am able to , correctly (if I am not sure or don't know, you will see those words, I promise, and there's plenty I don't know).

Well nice meeting you and hope to be back , soon, with this used drive working. Well I do have some plans for it so may be a few hours or even tomorrow before I am back.

Still I am glad to have found you people

Take care and thanks.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73