View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
_God_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksuddeth
If someone intends to take something from you, by force or threat of force, we should absolutely have the unmitigated right to apply equal force to prevent such crime.
It's very gratifying to see that others share my philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
If violent criminals feel that more people are carrying handguns, they'll get bigger guns. The populace will get bigger guns, then what? We have a heavely armed populace against heavely armed criminals and no one benifits from that.
Can you explain why crime has gone DOWN in every instance I'm aware of, in which concealed carry permit laws have been made less restrictive? Do you know this from your psych degree, from your other studies, or did you pull it out of thin air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willravel
Lethal self defence isn't self defence. Prevention is self defence. Running is self defence. Disarming the attacker is self defence. Shooting dead a homeless kid in a 7-11 with a knife is murder, and murder is wrong.
Why is it murder, and why is it wrong? Are you saying the kid who brandishes a knife at the grandfather behind the counter has a right to be free from harm related to his crime? Or that the employee is required to try to disarm him? Particularly in this situation, the employee is very unlikely to have an avenue of escape, and the criminal may not want to leave a witness behind. Or, the criminal may be in a less than rational state, due to drugs.

This criminal is even less entitled to sympathy than the idiots who lose an arm while beating alligators. At least the one-armers can say they were drunk and stupid.

How about a mugger? The victim's life is likely to be changed forever, either emotionally or physically, and the mugger is unlikely to get much more than probation.

I invite you to do a little light reading:

http://www.nrapublications.org/armed...izen/Index.asp

Here is the first of MANY:

Quote:
A couple was at home with their 15-month-old son when two armed men, one of them a convicted felon with a history of break-ins, kicked in the front door. According to police, one of the residents shot both intruders with his handgun, causing the felon to flee and the other burglar to fall dead inside the house. “I think probably if he had not had a gun, he would have been [killed], as well as the female in the house, and possibly the baby,” said Sgt. Jack Cates of the Durham, N.C., police department. The uninjured residents fled next door with their son and called police. Minutes later, a man showed up at the hospital suffering from a gunshot wound. He was charged with first-degree burglary, armed robbery and felony possession of cocaine. (The News & Observer, Raleigh, NC, 08/12/06)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73