View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 06:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
SugahBritches
Insane

Wow. I had no idea there was such bitterness towards the "weaker" sex. **smirkes**

In this world today it is all about "Me, Me, Me". I really didn't notice it until around the late 80's and early 90's. Because of this, and it all can't be blamed on either sex, because both of them are the product of this. So now we have the breakdown of what was defined as a "traditional" family. That is no longer common ground anymore.

As a few commented, the traditional family went out pretty much in the 1960's. My father was a farmer. Pretty traditional. My mother stayed home with my brothers and I until I was in the second grade. Farming was not going to provide what the family seemed to need alone. So, my mother went to work.
The same for myself, I was working when I met the Boss, had our two children, and I'm still working.

By some of your responses above, I'm amazed at how women are described today. It seems that some of the world has a jagged edged sword. I'm not sure if it's the climate in which you live or because you are surrounded by a different environment than some of us. Interesting though.

I'm all for progress. But something so simple as common curtesey, to simply vanish in todays society towards each other, is very saddening. When I help an older woman with her groceries or an older man with the door, I feel great. If I live long enough, that will be me oneday. By the comments made from a younger generation, I guess I will be on my own.

Elphaba asked if there were any of us single women from the 60's and 70's that are posting here. I am a youth from that generation. I'm not single, but then again, I didn't choose to be. The only kind of sign I ever carried during a protest, not that it was a protest--but more of an awareness of a bygone era, was a sign that read: "I'm proud to be the daughter of a farmer." But, then again, my father was a great example to my brothers, me, to my daughter and son, and also to my husband. I'm hoping that it doesn't die with my children or my chidren's children.

We all set examples to someone. Hopefully, I will always set a good example. I once asked my teenage children, after having a disagreement with the boss about who was the head of the household, "Who is the boss in this house? Who has the final say? Who do you think is the leader of this family?" Neither child paused. "Daddy is Mama." I laughed at the look on their father's face. It was priceless. Just because he wasn't home much, for he worked out of town most of my children's growing years, he thought he wasn't a part of our family. That answer gave him more than just a label, that showed him he was very much loved and respected.

I've not asked the boss what I mean to him. I don't need to. I know I am respected for more than just having a vagina.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73