View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 02:42 AM   #52 (permalink)
dksuddeth
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbough
I'm still waiting for a convincing argument why running away isn't a good idea.

What's wrong with running away?
The idea behind this kind of instruction is not to teach kids to run down the hallway towards wherever they hear gunshots, it's to teach them that if they find themselves trapped in the classroom with a gunman, to swarm that individual instead of just waiting for your time to be shot in the head. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running away if shots are heard while they are in the classroom WITHOUT a gunman standing in the doorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorn
The problem in this scenario is that if you are one of the three of seventeen unarmed resistors who gets shot you become a 100% statistic. I don't like the idea of unarmed resistance because that's a virtual guarantee that someone is going to get hurt badly.
Quote:
Exactly.

School Principal: "Hello, Mrs. Smith. I'm sorry to say your 10 year old daughter was one of two students killed today."
Mrs. Smith: "Oh God! How did it happen?"
School Principal: "Well, we taught the children to attack in this situation. Unfortunately your daughter was one of the ones killed."

Any guesses on the amount settled in the class action lawsuit against the school and state?
so it's much better for the students to do exactly as the psycho demands to lessen the liability of the school?

Gunman: "Turn around and get down on your knees"
Student: "yes sir, mr. gunman"
BANG!

Quote:
When there is no way to escape then fighting is the only option - I agree. But I believe that the question is if fighting should be the FIRST option.

Let me put my opinion this way:

Run Away > Fighting > Doing Nothing
And then I read this post, so pretty much disregard the first part of this post. This is also my line of thinking and fighting back is better than doing nothing, but running to safety certainly is the best option. My OP was about what to do if there is no escape.

Last edited by dksuddeth; 10-16-2006 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62