View Single Post
Old 10-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
ngdawg
peekaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
what i really have to say about this hiredgun said quite eloquently above....

there are no good ideas in such a context.
there should not be such contexts.

and there seems something--o i dont know---horrifying about the idea that the idea is afloat out there because of saturation coverage of isolated instances by television that some guy with a gun and a whole series of inward problems and a plan of killing children is likely enough to turn up in any classroom anywhere that a defense routine of any kind is a topic of discussion in elementary schools--- it's as if tv has generated the impression that there is some screwed up sense in which this is now somehow "normal"---part of a reasonable set of expectations about life in america.

how many school attacks have there been over the past decade or so?
how many schools are there in the united states?
how many students were affected by such attacks?
how many students have there been through all the schools in the united states over the past decade?

this texas idea seems hysterical to me, on the order of those creepy "duck and cover" films that circulated during the cold war. the message in those was: hi kids, do you know that your whole life is contingent and that you could be blasted to atoms at any moment? well you could. so you'd better be constantly "prepared" (afraid), ready to dive beneath a closet door in order to ride out the thermonuclear holocaust. o and have a nice day.

i really dont see much of a difference.
and i didn't respond to the poll.
My school did those old "if the US gets attacked by an atom bomb" drills ( many here probably never had to do those)....
Here's how assinine they were:
The 'air raid' alarm goes off (it sounds a bit different than the fire alarm). We then went into the halls, crouched against the walls, single file, head between knees, arms wrapped around legs.
The running joke for years was : Crouch low to the ground. Put head between knees. Kiss ass goodbye.
My kids' middle school did terror attack drills. At the sound of the alarm, they were to go outside, about 100 ft from the building and 'find' their homeroom teacher in designated areas. Yea, that'll work Ever see 1300+ students wandering around? By the time they'd find those teachers in a real scenario, they'd be dust.
I agree, the chances of such things happen are minute. But so are many of the more dire predictaments we discuss regularly every day. I'd be willing to bet that more women here have been a victim of sexual assault than any other crime and that no one here has ever been in a hostage situation. But having a Pollyanna outlook isn't prudent. We are all vulnerable to any number of actions that threaten our lives; what we say we'll do and what we truly end up doing are not always the same thing.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62