View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
jorgelito
All important elusive independent swing voter...

The American Enterprise Institute

During the winter quarter, I was in Washington, DC, interning at the American Enterprise Institute, (AEI) through a special program at my school. The University has a satellite campus in DC as well so I still took classes and got full credits. My time there also culminated in a research project consisting of a thesis.

My choices for internships were:
1. The Brookings Institute
2. The Center for Strategic and International Studies
3. The American Enterprise Institute

The first 2 turned me down (apparently Brookings is very selective, they only take one or two from the entire applicant pool). I applied for the Middle East department but I don't have any Arabic or Hebrew skills. CSIS was poorly organized and the wrong dept contacted me (Health) for an interview. I was like, how did you get my resume?

Anyways, AEI was the last one to get back to me. It was late enough where I didn't get placed until I got to DC. I got accepted to the Asian Studies unit in the Foreign Policy & Defense dept. AEI is very well organized and very professional. I also like their research topics as well.

As you can see, my choices reflect my own 'spectrum' though I did not know that AEI was a "neocon" think tank at the time. What I really liked about the AEI was the level of work I was able to do - substantive research and writing that contributed to reports, papers, briefings, publications and essays. I worked on a total of 3 projects: China's Startegic Culture in the Post 9/11 Era, China's Role in Africa, The Rise of Islam in Latin America.

I also had the opportunity to go to the Library of Congress, attended Congressional hearings, and watched a Senate session (budget). AEI also frequently hosts alot of seminars, lectures, and talks and did a joint series with Brookings (left and right, together at last?). I saw Antonin Scalia speak at one. He was very articulate and informative. I was surprised cause I always thought he was a jerk (from tv etc). He might very well be a jerk but in this seminar he was very well spoken and civilized. He was talking about the role of international law on US law.

I even attended the annual dinner ($1000 a plate) at AEI with such guests as Dick Cheney, Newt Gringrich, Paul Wolfowitz, ambassadors, generals etc. It was awesome. A good experience. (I have a good story with this one).

I did not check Tfp as I was very busy, I figured I would do it when I came back. I think I may have pm'ed alansmithee around then but I can't remember (where is he?).

My time in DC and AEI was very valuable and instructive. I spent a lot of time at the memorials (Vietnam and Korea really got me). I loved the archives. I went up to Philly and Boston too. I saw where they signed the greatest document, the Declaration of Independence. I even toured the Sam Adams brewery.

Host, I will go more in depth about AEI, DC, and think tanks as topics warrant. I think this is a good introductory (I'm trying to keep length down). Feel free to prompt or start threads at will.

Thanks for listening.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73