View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seaver
Junkie

I'm not entirely sure. I'm fairly certain that is either a unique code of high complexity, or it is on an alternating frequency which would cause it to be safer.

In addition I would imagine the range would be much shorter than a remote clicker because it is intended to be with you as you are extremely close or inside the car.

I'm not certain, as it's very very new technology, but I'd bet you're safe from these people.

Quote:
Seaver, I have heard that home owners are very predictable about where they hide their valuables and that thieves know exactly where to look. Is this true, and if so, where are those hiding places so that they can be avoided.

Too late for me...my valuables are long gone.
Well most people don't really even hide their valuables sadly. I have heard of people who have broken into something like 200+ houses and to this day have not been caught because they dont take anything a person would notice. They take a single check, bank reports, stock deeds, etc which a person would not notice for a very long time. With these they have more or less full access to your finances, and with the stock deeds they can easily sell off your nest egg.

If you mean hard valuables, such as jewelery/guns/etc, yes everyone puts them pretty much in the same area.

In their bedroom closet. Usually stashed on the side or on top in or around shoeboxes.

Some are smart enough to buy a safe for their house, but don't realize the easy installation the dolly created is more than enough for an easy extraction by the burgerler. Even worse is I have friends who have handheld safes like a theif would not think to just pick it up and walk out. Safes are not rated by impossibility, but by time for a good lockpick to get in. If he has it in his house he has all the time in the world.

Other than their bedroom closet most people will store their goods near their bed. 90% of the time a Rolex is stolen it's stolen from the owner's endtable. Women love their jewelery boxes, unfortunately the entire contents are dumped into their own pillowcase within 10seconds.

Alarm systems are defeated the majority of times by a household pet. Dogs set off motion sensors enough times that their family simply don't turn it on when they leave. Dont fall to this, they have special sensors which are programmed with the average size of a dog and ignore, but triggers with the average person size. If you're going to spend $3k on a system, bust out an extra thousand for a system you'll actually keep activated.

If you buy a safe, BOLT IT TO THE FLOOR. Pay the $50-100 for a proper installation. As stated safes are rated by their time to crack, but most burgerlers won't bother to sit and pick it unless they know 100% there's stuff inside worth while.

Oh yeah, and lock the safe, your doors, and activate your alarm system. I've heard countless stories of people "breaking" into a house by simply walking into the backyard, through the unlocked door, without the alarm activated (because of a dog), and finding a $1k+ safe with the door ajar.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62